Chicks have weird feather growth, concern over it being the start of Angel wing. Help?

Draconic

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2024
I am aware that they're just barely getting their feathers in, they're just about to turn two weeks old now, but, none of the chicks I've raised previously have had... this. I was wondering if this is normal, or, if it's not, how would I treat it?

These are two chicks sired from my own flock, by my previous rooster and two of my hens (a Golden Comet and a Chocolate GL Orpington) and their feather growth is... noticeable, to say the least. As you can see in some of these pictures, their feathers stick out quite a bit, I'm just concerned for their health and wellbeing, because they look really weird compared to my other chicks who are around the same age, none of their feathers stick out the same way these two do.

they're being fed a very sandy mash that I purchase from our local family owned feed store (unsure of the exact brand) but its the same thing we've fed all of our previous chicks for their first week of life. They got a bit of vitamin and electrolytes in their water, and haven't been fed anything else yet, like oats or fruits or anything. I did introduce grit, only a little bit recently, so I can start giving them bigger chick food that's not so sandy.

again, this could be completely normal development, I'm just super watchful over wing development due to having ducklings recently, I'm still trying to come off of that need to examine them and panic over everything that seems odd 😂
1000016939.jpg
1000016946.jpg
1000016967.jpg
1000016968.jpg

I had one little chick that had a similar wing. I fussed and got scared over it, but the wing naturally corrected itself as she grew. I wouldn’t worry all that much unless it persists until they are ~6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom