Chicks lost in the mail - is there any chance they're still alive?

Crazy_Book_Lady

Chirping
Feb 19, 2021
I'm just so devastated by this. I was going to buy 25 Dominique chicks from a private breeder in August, but he wasn't able to set the eggs until September so they only hatched on the 29th, much later in the year than I'd planned, and only 15 of the 25 hatched. He mailed them on the afternoon of the 30th with 1 day priority express shipping, I had everything all set up for their arrival on the 1st. I was a little anxious because of the cold, it being much later in the year than I intended to ship chicks, but I wasn't too worried.

Then they didn't arrive all day, we went to the post office, nothing, they couldn't even tell us where the package was. The tracking didn't update until that night, saying that they were in Cincinnati, which was only an hour away from where they started, and no closer to where we are. The tracking hasn't updated since - it's been almost 3 days of them being in a box, and 4 days since they hatched. The breeder doesn't think there's much of a chance of their survival and has offered to start collecting more eggs for me, but I would be really hesitant to then ship chicks in November.

I just can't believe this is happening. I've waited 6 years to get chickens. I contacted the breeder last December and have been waiting 10 months for these chicks. Now they're probably lost for good, I don't know if I will ever even get the package, and it's likely too late to order more this year. Sorry for the rant, I'm just so upset about this. So many chicks orders arrive perfectly fine, or even with half the chicks dead, but why is it that the chicks I've been waiting years for have to be just gone like this?

Back
Top Bottom