Coccidia again or just intestinal lining?

Ray987

Chirping
Apr 22, 2024
Hello

So I've hatched around 80 chicks they're 2 weeks old now, this morning I was sitting among them and I noticed a fresh dropping on the ground I checked it and here's what I saw, I waited a bit for another dropping and also saw the same red stuff in it, I've had a similar droppings with my previous batch which I ended up treating for coccidia because I ended up seeing way bloodier droppings than these (they all recovered)

My previous post about my previous batch of chicks with coccidia
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/possible-coccidia.1629416/

I don't see any symptoms on the chicks other than these droppings and my question is are these considered intestinal lining? According to the poop chart it's normal? (Droppings occured in the morning 7am)
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

I'm trying to decide if I should get them on medication for coccidia before they show any symptoms or not but I'm hesitated because I only have this medicine I shared a picture of, I could possibly order Bycox (toltrazuril) but it'll take a week or so to get it

Please let me know what you think, normal droppings or should i start medication and thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240730_004429.jpg
    IMG_20240730_004429.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20240730_004520.jpg
    IMG_20240730_004520.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240730_011928.jpg
    IMG_20240730_011928.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240620_023235.jpg
    IMG_20240620_023235.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 8
I got in touch with a vet they recommended giving baycox ( toltrazuril) for the chicks also for any chicks I hatch as a precaution they recommend giving it once every 15 day or once every 30 days as precaution for thr whole lifespan of the bird, i thought once a chick is cured from coccidia they'll be immune against it?

I got in touch with a vet they recommended giving baycox ( toltrazuril) for the chicks also for any chicks I hatch as a precaution they recommend giving it once every 15 day or once every 30 days as precaution for thr whole lifespan of the bird, i thought once a chick is cured from coccidia they'll be immune against it?

Also question, just yesterday i switched to hay bedding (i was using sheets as bedding) could hay cause the red color in droppings in any way?

I haven't started any medication yet and chicks seems fine, starting to think the red stuff in the droppings is the watermelon treats i feed them occasionally...

I highly recommend that you follow the vets advice. Coccidia are everywhere in the soil. Once birds have grown as adults, their immune systems are usually strong enough to fight off coccidiosis infections.

I highly recommend that you follow the vets advice. Coccidia are everywhere in the soil. Once birds have grown as adults, their immune systems are usually strong enough to fight off coccidiosis infections.
Appreciate it, we don't have any proper vets nearby so I'm trying to survive by myself and gain experience, I just got baycox today and will use it if I see any symptoms

Back
Top Bottom