Coccidiosis Questions

Jmania

Hatching
May 3, 2024
I am a new chcik mama and 1 of my 9 weekish old chicks i think has coccidiosis (lethargic, runny and bloody poop, not eating or drinking much, acting cold in 88 degrees and poofy) . I brough her inside and isolated her from the rest of the same age chickens and cleaned everything and got some corid. Starting day 2 now she is on the treatment amount and the rest are on the preventative amount. When i checked on the other chickabiddies earlier i found some very watery poop and one that had a orangish reddish spot in it like the sick one had as well. A couple of questions:
- Now that the isolated chick is moving around and eating and drinking should i put her back with the others?
- I think i should give everyone the treatment amount because of the poop i found but they have no other symptoms, any ideas?
- Should i replace the shavings bedding with something where i can clean up the poop all the time?
- I also couldnt find any side effects of corid, are there any i should be on the look out for?

Thanks and So Much Appreciated!

I would put all of them on the treatment dose, as it's likely the others are dealing with it as well but just haven't gone downhill yet.
Chickie should be with her friends, it helps encourage them to eat. When the cocci damage their intestinal lining it causes them to not want to eat, which then weakens the chicks making it harder to fight off. So anything you can do to break that cycle is important. I put sugar in their water as it helps perk them up enough they can stay awake for mealtime. And keeping them warm enough is important too, as cold chicks (of any age) lose their appetite.

For any you know have blood in their stool, like the first chick and any additional, they should have a drench dose as well (in addition to the treatment dose in their water). Drench dosing is putting the undiluted medicine in a syringe and feeding it directly in their beak. There are a few good articles on here about how to drench dose and how to administer liquids in the beak. I put sugar in the drench too, as they may not be well enough to drink from their waterer.

As for safety, Corid (Amprolium) is very safe. Its mode of action is as a Vitamin B1 antagonist. Basically, it counteracts B1 in the chicks body, as the parasite relies on B1 to reproduce.
In the short term, you almost can't overdose it...
In the long term, like if a treatment dose was continued for weeks, the chickens suffer from the lack of B1 and can develop leg and neurological problems. That doesn't happen at the prevention dose, or for short duration treatment dosing (5-7 days).
During treatment, you don't want to give them any supplements that have B1 in it, as that can counteract the Corid. After treatment when the chicks are on the mend you can give them vitamins if you're concerned about their levels, although most don't require it.

I would keep them on shavings, since the turn over of the litter helps keep the chicks clean. But pay attention to waterer cleanliness, you don't want any doo sitting in the water.

Back
Top Bottom