Cold nights and 6-8 week old chicks

chirpnburp

Hatching
Sep 29, 2024
I have 8 chicks, 4 bym that are around 7-8 weeks and 4 Mottled Cochin Bantams that are around 6-7 weeks. Can they all be moved out if the brooder and into the coop when night temps are going to be in the mid 40’s? I’m in Virginia and we just finished building their coop. One of the Mottled Cochin Bantams chicks is significantly smaller than the others, should I keep that one inside and in the brooder?

Are they completely feathered?
I have a brooder plate so mine are moved outside at a earlier age. With the heater. I had chicks this time last year that were outside.

I have 8 chicks, 4 bym that are around 7-8 weeks and 4 Mottled Cochin Bantams that are around 6-7 weeks. Can they all be moved out if the brooder and into the coop when night temps are going to be in the mid 40’s? I’m in Virginia and we just finished building their coop. One of the Mottled Cochin Bantams chicks is significantly smaller than the others, should I keep that one inside and in the brooder?
they would have been fine to move out 2 weeks ago. Just start with day trips for a couple of days then move them out full time. I moved my chicks out at 5 weeks and it was getting down to a similar temperature. I didn't provide heat and they were perfectly fine

Last edited:
I wouldn’t keep the little one inside alone. 40 F is around freezing isn’t it?

You can put them outside in the coop with a heath plate in the nestbox or sleeping area.
If it gets real cold I would add a second small heath plate* in the area or run where they walk around to eat and drink. Only put that one on during the day.

*Alternative: heater or a few lamp bulbs that give more light and a little warmth.

I've never kept chicks indoors for that long, and have never lost one to the cold.
As long as they are protected from the wind, and temps don't drop below 30F, six weeks is perfectly fine.

I'm not sure how cold is too cold, but I had some 12 week old chicks several years ago that I was seriously concerned about when the overnight temperatures reached -5F, but they were all fine.

I've never heated a coop.

Back
Top Bottom