Cold temp broody's?

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
How do hens handle being broody in colder temps? We sometimes get a few coverings of snow by late October. Doesn't usually stick around till late November/December. Who knows what's in store for Michigan this year lol. Anyone have experience with their hens hatching chicks in cold temps?

How do hens handle being broody in colder temps? We sometimes get a few coverings of snow by late October. Doesn't usually stick around till late November/December. Who knows what's in store for Michigan this year lol. Anyone have experience with their hens hatching chicks in cold temps?
I don't but maybe you can keep them inside like a coop that is covered with food and water inside?

I don't but maybe you can keep them inside like a coop that is covered with food and water inside?
They are inside the coop and I'm just trying to decide whether to let them sit or not lol. Theres 1 first timer for sure but our resident broody whose been broody twice this year but didn't hatch any last time has been sitting right outside the nesting box for 5 hours probably trying to steal eggs for herself. I made a broody/isolation box inside the coop that i can move them to if their committed but we might have snow around the time chicks hatch and are being raised so not 100% sure if hens usually do well hatching in such temps.

They are inside the coop and I'm just trying to decide whether to let them sit or not lol. Theres 1 first timer for sure but our resident broody whose been broody twice this year but didn't hatch any last time has been sitting right outside the nesting box for 5 hours probably trying to steal eggs for herself. I made a broody/isolation box inside the coop that i can move them to if their committed but we might have snow around the time chicks hatch and are being raised so not 100% sure if hens usually do well hatching in such temps.
Im not sure either since I haven't had any natural hatches but I think it should be fine as long as the inside is pretty cozy for them and that she has food and stuff in her reach.

Yes hens can hatch chicks in winter temperatures. They can keep the chicks warm enough as well. When I have had chicks hatch in winter, the biggest challenge was keeping a chick safe water source from freezing solid.

Im not sure either since I haven't had any natural hatches but I think it should be fine as long as the inside is pretty cozy for them and that she has food and stuff in her reach.
The girl whose gone broody twice hatched 2 goslings her first time around. But we sold them soon after. Second time we planned to give her chicks instead but never found any under a week at our local store. Thats what i'm thinking.

I let a broody hatch in a frigid Michigan January, it went OK.
Had to swap waterers and wet mash feeders frequently.
Luckily hatch day was above freezing and the chicks were fine in the subsequent subzero temps....
.... but I'd never do it again.

Here's the story:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-in-michigan-winter.947046/

I've got a gut feeling we're in for a harsh winter here if our lakes don't start cooling down pretty darn fast. You must be pretty far north, I'm guessing...U.P.?
NW LP. About 30 minutes from lake michigan lol It doesn't usually stick officially till november/december atleast these past few years lol but I've been hearing this winter is going to be bad.

I let a broody hatch in a frigid Michigan January, it went OK.
Had to swap waterers and wet mash feeders frequently.
Luckily hatch day was above freezing and the chicks were fine in the subsequent subzero temps....
.... but I'd never do it again.

Here's the story:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-in-michigan-winter.947046/
Jeez January hatching 0.0 Thats a terrifying thought lol Ours would hatch in october which the past few years are usually decent but been hearing this years gonna be bad and the chicks wouldn't be fully feathered till november so thats why im hesitating lol

Back
Top Bottom