Concerned for broody hen

Silkiebegins

Songster
Mar 22, 2024
So my hen decided to go broody when the temperature outside are 112 every day. So I really didn't want her to be on those eggs for 3 whole weeks. This was my 1st broody so I was kind of new to this and wasn't sure if I can shorten the process by giving her eggs that would hatch in the next week. But I did anyway. When the time came for them to hatch I came and did a peak. I ended up finding one baby crushed in her egg one alive and next to the mom and the other unhatched. It was of course still hot and the chick was trying to cool down along with the mom. So I took them out and the mom instantly ditched her baby. I put her back on the nest and she was back to her sort of mother ish behavior. Should I leave the chick with her? How long will it take for her to actually care for the baby? Was I wrong for shortening the process?

It is usually recomended to wait til the hen has been sitting at least two weeks before giving her babies as her hormonal clock would be closer to "time for babies". However, she already has them and what's done is done.
People usually leave the hen on the nest with the chicks for a full day after the hatch date. If you're concerned about the heat, you could set a jar lid with 1/4inch of water nearby in case they get thirsty.
All hens will greatly resent being messed with/her nest/babies being messed with. If she is a good mom, she should calm down and get back to business as soon as you leave her be. Hope this helps.

She is back to being on her eggs along with her baby and for the heat gave her a little fan. About the crushed egg was that an accident? When I give her eggs she stands just enough so where I can see where I want to place the egg. Is there a wrong area to place an egg? Also, If she ever goes broody again should I ever take her off her nest? She was pretty faithful in her week and a half on her nest even though I took her of twice as she seemed she was going to pass out. She does have access to a waterer but the way it's built doesn't allow a baby chick to drink from that waterer.

Last edited:
Sometimes eggs get crushed maybe the shell was too brittle. Many people recommend setting the egg right in front of the broody and let her pull it in and place it herself. If you don't have a clumsy bird, setting any place would be ok.
Thanks.

I made the same mistake but it turned into a good one. I had my first broody and the first chick to hatch ended up being attacked by her and I took it being confused and I took the next three but on the last three I left them and she ended up accepting them and her other babies and I was super happy.

I made the same mistake but it turned into a good one. I had my first broody and the first chick to hatch ended up being attacked by her and I took it being confused and I took the next three but on the last three I left them and she ended up accepting them and her other babies and I was super happy.
Also the two wet babies she attacked managed to survive and grow into some pretty hens and are almost laying age, I had to lay them on a towel under a heat lamp because they were just hatched and had 0 chance of survival without being under her

Some hens just don't know what chicks are or what to do with them. If she is a first time broody than I wouldn't rush the process. She more than likely won't care for them if she isn't currently trying to.

Some hens just don't know what chicks are or what to do with them. If she is a first time broody than I wouldn't rush the process. She more than likely won't care for them if she isn't currently trying to.
Thanks for the advice it's only been an hour though and she is keeping the chick close. Also might have created to threads with one click. 2nd time happening.

Back
Top Bottom