Beauty the pretty chicken

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
I have a young duck that I don’t know the breed of and it has a weird mutation or deformation or something. it’s in its wings. The wings have a weird feather sticking out of the back and I’ve heard of things like angel wing although it doesn’t really look like that so I’m not really sure what it is if anyone has any ideas on what it is and if it’s something that I need help with making the duck uncomfortable that be great!!

Thank you!

I have a young duck that I don’t know the breed of and it has a weird mutation or deformation or something. it’s in its wings. The wings have a weird feather sticking out of the back and I’ve heard of things like angel wing although it doesn’t really look like that so I’m not really sure what it is if anyone has any ideas on what it is and if it’s something that I need help with making the duck uncomfortable that be great!!

Thank you!
In addition to pics being helpful.. please tell us the approximate age if known and also what is the diet including treats and supplements.

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    798.8 KB · Views: 9
In addition to pics being helpful.. please tell us the approximate age if known and also what is the diet including treats and supplements.
I’d say she’s about a year old, we feed her some veggies as treats, (after maiking sure it’s safe). I have a picture of her food, and we don’t give her any supplements. Just for some extra info, she has had this look since birth, but we always just assumed it would go away. We also have a blind duck (or something like that) and some other possibly weird ducks. She also runs weird and is front heavy but otherwise looks and acts pretty normal and happy.

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2491.jpeg
    IMG_2491.jpeg
    741 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2496.jpeg
    IMG_2496.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2498.jpeg
    IMG_2498.jpeg
    599.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2499.jpeg
    IMG_2499.jpeg
    615.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    798.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 10
It seems that your duck has angel wing. Its a condition that some ducks have an inborn susceptibility to that can be made worse by poor diet. Its typically more common in ducks in public parks and on public waterways where their diet in large part is bread. Your duck must have had a susceptibility

The condition might have been corrected if her wings were bound back when she was a duckling. It may be too late to do anything now, BUT, if she were my duck, I would prepare to bind her wings against her body with vet wrap when she molts and loses her flight feathers. I think it is well worth trying with the first molt but I don't know that you will be successful.

As she will object to having her wings bound and try and get out of the vet wrap, I would get some newborn tee-shirts/tops from your local thrift store. Put the tee shirt on over the vet wrap. I often have to tie a knot in the neck of the tee-shirt to make the neck hole smaller, so that the duck cannot tread down the tee shirt.

Photo three ducks in baby tee shirts [injured not angel wing]

Attachments

• 20240616_211810.jpg
    20240616_211810.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom