Could this be anything other than marek’s?

StardewValley4Real

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
I’ve attached pictures of my chicken. In your personal experience, could this be anything other than Marek’s disease? She is walking normal. The only symptom is one of her pupils being misshapen. She is 2 years old and previously had a normally shaped pupil. I got her from McMurray hatchery who vaccinate for Marek’s (I know they still can get it even if vaccinated).
None of my other 9 chickens are showing any symptoms. Has anyone had a chicken experience an eye situation like this and it turned out not to be Marek’s? I’m very freaked out.

Attachments

• 4FCD2C24-0A4E-433B-8872-A94A8F87FA6C.jpeg
    4FCD2C24-0A4E-433B-8872-A94A8F87FA6C.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 17
  • 0CABFCB4-B613-448F-BE54-71993A2D3B57.jpeg
    0CABFCB4-B613-448F-BE54-71993A2D3B57.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Do you have a picture of her eye at an earlier age? It could be a coloboma, a keyhole pupil birth defect that is common in birds, animals, and humans. But if the pupil color becomes more dull or gray, then I would suspect ocular Mareks. Some people only have ocular Mareks in a flock, while many have multiple types of Mareks, including neural, visceral (tumors,) and skin.

Yes and her pupil was normal when she was a chick and has been normal up until now…So I don’t think it can be a coloboma since that is something you are born with. ☹️ Hopefully, if it is Marek’s, it’s just the ocular kind and none of my other chickens get it. I’ve read that some people have chickens who live for years with ocular Marek’s so maybe I can just keep monitoring them and keep all 9 of them isolated together since they’ve all been exposed to her at this point?
Do you have a picture of her eye at an earlier age? It could be a coloboma, a keyhole pupil birth defect that is common in birds, animals, and humans. But if the pupil color becomes more dull or gray, then I would suspect ocular Mareks. Some people only have ocular Mareks in a flock, while many have multiple types of Mareks, including neural, visceral (tumors,) and skin

Back
Top Bottom