Crazy Chicken Lady from Norway!

Steinagarden

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2024
Hello! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I have had chickens for a few years now, but the interest of breeding chickens really started for about 2 years ago. I have been a breeder of pure bred dogs for 12 years and also being a breeder of rabbits for about 20 years. I have also had rats, horses, pigs and other animals.

Genetics has always been a huge interest of mine, my only fault is that I want to know and learn everything a little bit too fast... Some things takes more time to understand thought :old My biggest aim in my breeding is to breed healthy animals, if you don't have that in order, everything else is just a waste.

We own a middle sized farm in Norway, on the west coast. Our farm is called "Steinagarden", and has been driven since early 1600's - in others words lots of history at our place! It lays in a walley surrounded by mountains called "Skorgedalen". Our chicken breeder fan page is called @skorgedalenhobbyhons (translated in english to Skorgendalen's Back Yard Chickens) on instagram, though it's all in norwegian, but we have lot's of photos and videos.

Some of the questions I was asked to answer in my introduction for those interested:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have had chickens on my parents farm from a very early age, but it was about 2 1/2 years ago since I bought my own chickens for the very first time. I started out with Icelandic chickens, and I still love them!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have about 200 chickens of various breeds. Numbers vary from 50-200 based on our projects and seasons.

(3) What breeds do you have?

We have Icelandic chickens, Creme Legbar, Ayam Cemani, Leghorns, Silverudds Blue, Bielefelders

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love to keep an animal that contributes on such a high level when it comes to both food (eggs and meat) and that are such great companions at the same time. They are just fun all the way and it's completely impossible not to like them or to have just a few of them... I mean...They are little dinosaurs!!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We enjoy to go on hikes in our forest, fishing trips at sea and just spending quality time together, working on our farm, growing vegetables also.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

It's me and my lovely boyfriend at our farm, we have 2 dogs, 5 goats and 1 lhama. lt's just for fun and for the love of it, we do not live of our farm in any way, but try to at least make some income so it's not all on the negative side financially. We both have 100% jobs aside the farm.

As i mentioned before I am really into genetics and lately has got a good understand of how to breed for my goals. I think it's so exciting!! Though it's not easy finding people with this mutual interest, and when you do, they are not always nice people I recon... I am all for an open and good communication between breeders, and being positive and cheering for each others progress! Is it not better that we can all play each other good instead of seeing each others as competition?? :woot

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found it through google and read many threads before joining. It seemed like a positive place to be! Hoping to find like minded nice people to discuss mutual interest with!

Our house:
Screenshot_20241022-143814~2.png

Our chicken indoor stable, we have 7 big sections and soon 5 outdoor sections

Screenshot_20241022-143943~2.png

Me and some of our icelandic chickens and our dog
Screenshot_20241022-143851~2.png

One of our beautiful young icelandic roosters

FB_IMG_1729370452749.jpg

Back
Top Bottom