Cream Legbar, help me chose the best cockerel

Altairsky

Songster
Mar 25, 2024
Veneto, Italy
I purchased the eggs from one of the best breeders in my country, he breeds for exhibitions so I hope I got a couple of decent ones.
I'm looking for a rooster that is friendly to humans and gentle with pullets. So far, at 18 weeks, none of them showed bad behaviors.
However they have not started mating yet, so it's hard to tell which one will be better with the girls.
Both of them learned lessons from elderly hens which they are still terrified of, so pullets are not the only girls they will deal with.
At the moment, I'd like your opinion on the one with the best colors. One is darker, the other is lighter.
The darker one has a crooked comb too so that should be considered.

Attachments

• Cockerels 1.jpg
    Cockerels 1.jpg
    779.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Cockerels 2.jpg
    Cockerels 2.jpg
    971.5 KB · Views: 45
One of my legbars had a comb that flopped over and blocked his vision on one side so I rehomed him. Keeping them a year gives you a better idea of their real personality.After they start developing the most aggressive one will show his colors pretty fast.Your#2 has a comb that's flopping forward over one eye like mine.

I purchased the eggs from one of the best breeders in my country, he breeds for exhibitions so I hope I got a couple of decent ones.
I'm looking for a rooster that is friendly to humans and gentle with pullets. So far, at 18 weeks, none of them showed bad behaviors.
However they have not started mating yet, so it's hard to tell which one will be better with the girls.
Both of them learned lessons from elderly hens which they are still terrified of, so pullets are not the only girls they will deal with.
At the moment, I'd like your opinion on the one with the best colors. One is darker, the other is lighter.
I like #1 better than #2. He doesn't have the bent comb, and the red on the shoulder of the wing is lightly diluted where it isn't on #2.

I don't want any hens that look like quail but that's what some of the hatchery stock looks like. They were sold out of pullet chicks at Murray last year so I still don't have any legbar hens.Thats where my roosters came from.

Green Fire farms breeds their imports to the British standard but because many breeders here don't breed to the same standard .
This is one of their roosters off their website...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-14 4.12.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-14 4.12.32 PM.png
    813 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom