Creative ways to separate drakes

Lil 2 U

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 27, 2013
Yrisarri, New Mexico
Over the years it seems every time I order ducklings or hatch eggs i get 80% drakes, and although we did put a few in the freezer, I hate to do that (not a fan of dark meat or butchering my flock regardless of how humanely we do it) I now have about 15 drakes, and in the past I've been successful in separating them in one or two groups but this year they are literally murderous and have already killed one of their number. I've given them a larger enclosure and some obstacles to hide around/behind (they have a 20x30 enclosure with a couple of small shelters and a fence down the middle to make chasing a little more challenging. I don't let them free-range, too many predators (maybe a solution? you didn't hear that...) and no natural water for them. I keep about two or three out with the 10 hens I have and cycle them through, whoever is being beat on the most comes out for a week if they are not too aggressive with the girls, but the hens need a break too. I recently broke up the big enclosure into three smaller ones (although two don't have great shade for the summer) but the squabbling continues even among the milder ones, once separated they beat on each other too. Even my 9 year old welch harlequin is still hardy enough to wail on someone. I've advertised for rehoming but no interest - I live in a rural area where everyone has too many males. I'm looking for a poultry swap too, but few in my area. Has anyone tried anything else successfully like hobbling the boys so they can't chase or using duck-sized peepers (can't find any) or sewing neck-guards or anything else to allow keeping them? I fully realize its time to reconsider the freezer, as making more enclosures is overwhelming to care for, and it makes no economic sense to keep feeding so many boys and continually worrying about their safety. Any positive ideas are welcome!

I am in a similiar situation, but an inexperienced Duckling mom, and just still figuring out who is a drake and who isn’t. My first two ducklings (both drakes) were born March 5, and are three weeks older than my 5 “teenagers, and then my three Cayuga “babies” are another 18 days younger yet. The babies, given the attentions of the eldest drakes are all girls. I either have a 5/5 ratio or 6/4 drake to female ratio, (with my sole Saxony - one of the teens - being the last in question. Either way, well too many drakes. They are pets and I love them all. I was hoping I’d get lucky and skip over this breeding season since I read it ends in June. That would have given me time to figure out who I could bear to part with, find some good homes for them and see about getting some more girls. They really had all been getting along beautifully, foraging as a flock, sleeping all together, coming to bed when I’d whistle for them, ah, it was just what I wanted. There was very little fussing between them until the hormones crashed in like a tidal wave for the two eldest drakes (Tennant/Ancona and Junior/Rouen) about a week ago and the contented peace has been shattered with all kinds of adolescent dynamics happening among them.

The first time I saw, shall we say, mating activity, Tennant climbed on Nautilus, a baby, (who I had thought was also a drake) held her head under water, biting her neck and Nautilus was not enjoying this in the least bit. I was so shocked that I yelled at Tennant, (should I?!), scaring him so at least it was quick for Nautilus, but then Junior, nearly twice Nautilus’s size - got up on her and did the same thing! Poor girl - first half hour of the day and raped twice.

Just as significantly, Tennant & Junior have taken to bullying Argent, the next most dominant drake (and the largest duck of all of them). Argent is a Silver Appleyard. Tennant & Junior chase him now near every waking moment, ostrascizing him from the flock, food and water. Argent’s personality is changing right before my eyes. He’s lost confidence, is anxious and sad. However, when I put Tennant and Junior into Drake Jail, Argent returns to the group, is again the leader and everything calms down. I did see him attempt mating once, but I don’t think it was successful as his “baby” was not interested. He was much less forceful, but again younger and still growing. He will sometimes kind of push everybody else out of the biggest Kiddie Pool in order to get a few laps in on his own and then stretch and preen, before accepting others back in willingly. A couple of days ago with the bullies in jail, the others contentedly slept in the shade with Argent smack in the middle. Even so as soon as I let the bullies out the ostracization began again and the others do not come to Argent’s defense.

I am also looking for advice on who to split up, which if any of them need to be in solitary confinement.

When should I intervene and when should I not?

Is there any chance this can work out like it did when they were first introduced to one another?

How long does typical successful duck sex take??

I have these and so many more questions.

I’m in needof a degree in duck pyschology, stat!

Drakes should not be breeding females that are younger than 4 months old. The females can be injured since their reproductive system isn’t mature.

Unless you have enough room to separate the drakes into smaller groups or find someone willing to take them I think butchering is actually lesser of evils. Right now they are fighting it out to the death in what is essentially a colosseum. Drakes were never meant to be locked up together in large groups. It goes against their nature to be dominant, territorial and it never ends well. A couple of drakes together it can work, but any more than that it always seems to end badly even if it works for a year or two. Those hormones and being locked together get to them after a while then they get deadly.

Back
Top Bottom