Crossing blue laced Wyandottes

Paymoo

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2024
Hi all!

So I have 2 blue laced RED Wyandotte hens and a blue laced GOLD Wyandotte Roo. If I let them breed will I still have the 50-25-25? Blue, black, splash? What happens to the gold vs red? Just more golden? I’ve done my research on the blue laced red breeding to one another but I didn’t know if the gold plays a huge factor minus making them less red.

Thanks so much for the help!

From my understanding, the gold will make the red more brassy, which is undesirable from a standard of perfection viewpoint. If you're just breeding for you and you don't mind the brassiness it really doesn't matter. Blue laced vs gold laced doesn't affect the B/B/S genetics in any way.

If you're selling chicks or hatching eggs it gets a little more complicated. You should let buyers know that your birds are likely to not meet color standards. They'll be fine for eye candy or (depending on your birds' production qualities) eggs/meat but may not be breeding quality and probably won't be show quality.

From my understanding, the gold will make the red more brassy, which is undesirable from a standard of perfection viewpoint. If you're just breeding for you and you don't mind the brassiness it really doesn't matter. Blue laced vs gold laced doesn't affect the B/B/S genetics in any way.

If you're selling chicks or hatching eggs it gets a little more complicated. You should let buyers know that your birds are likely to not meet color standards. They'll be fine for eye candy or (depending on your birds' production qualities) eggs/meat but may not be breeding quality and probably won't be show quality.
Okay I kind of assumed this would be what happened, but I also wanted to ask people with a better understanding than me! So thank you!

Back
Top Bottom