Crushed egg advice

Hi! Here is what I would do
That crushed egg looks like it needs some 'patching.' First there is too much feces on the egg which might result in infection and contaimination of the egg. Get some towels with wet warm water on it then sanitize the egg by doing that. Then wrap the egg with some kind of plastic bag or wrap, clear and clean. Then place under the hen to continue incubating. If the chick is shrink wrapped( does not hatch by day 22 but has pipped) get some tweezers and pry the shell slowly off the chick until it is positioned well, it is ok if you see some blood. This is all I know to do for your chick.

Hope your chick turns out to be healthy!

That crushed egg looks like it needs some 'patching.' First there is too much feces on the egg which might result in infection and contaimination of the egg. Get some towels with wet warm water on it then sanitize the egg by doing that. Then wrap the egg with some kind of plastic bag or wrap, clear and clean. Then place under the hen to continue incubating. If the chick is shrink wrapped( does not hatch by day 22 but has pipped) get some tweezers and pry the shell slowly off the chick until it is positioned well, it is ok if you see some blood. This is all I know to do for your chick.

Oh if you have a wet bulb still incubation method then that would work too, but make sure it is keeping the humidity and temp. stable.

It's not possible to clean the egg as it's crushed under the dirty spot, attempting to do so would break the egg more which is why I didn't try cleaning or repairing the cracks days ago. The chick has already pipped today and chirping, it's been in my brooder for 4 days now so I don't plan to move it. Also patching the egg now seems counter productive when it's already started the hatching process. I'm looking for advice on how to assist if it gets shrink wrapped.

It looks like it's pipped externally, a small piece of shell is off and I was able to see the tip of it's beak but it's moved now I assume to begin zipping. Hopefully this goes smoothly and I don't have to help. I've been whistling at the other chick and noticed the egg wiggles pretty hard when I do it and sometimes chirp's in response and I just thought that was cute.

I woke up Tuesday morning and the chick had hatched all on it's own. It's from a cuckoo maran hen and blue laced red wyandotte rooster.
IMG_20240709_143401814.jpg

Back
Top Bottom