Curious of Young Rooster's Behaviour - Not Aggressive

corvidRouxster

Chirping
Aug 6, 2024
Southern Texas
Nothing urgent! This is more out of a curiosity thing as I looked around a bit but couldn't find anything that satisfied the said curiosity.
20240724_150653.jpg

This is an unnamed 6 month old Old English Game Bantam rooster (Lavender colour). I've read that if a rooster bites or shows aggressive behaviour at 3 months, they're growing up to be aggressive.
Also I've read usually by the first year of age that the rooster will exhibit aggressive behaviour due to puberty, but also heard Bantams tend to be much calmer/docile. This guy is VERY calm and lets me pick him up, and will sit on my hand and pet him. In fact he also lets me carry him around the property without kicking or thrashing to be let down.

Would this mean he's likely to grow up to be a calm and docile rooster with this gentle behaviour? Or should I be weary in case he does get aggressive due to hormones? I've helped raise chickens and roosters but never Bantams before, so I'm not sure. I'd assume the same rule follows to Bantams as they're still chickens.

Ps- bonus picture of him as a chick. We don't have any other birds of his breed+colour and was expecting him to be a hen 😂

Attachments

• 20240222_141039.jpg
    20240222_141039.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 6
Some roosters being carried by their owners can end up being aggressive. And not all roosters are mean during puberty. Just keep him from being eye level so he knows you are boss, not him.

He was so darn cute!! ❤❤
I will definitely note that! I'm used to keeping smaller animals at eye level because I'm nervous of scaring them. I'll be sure to avoid that with him in particular then :] I come see him daily but only occasionally I carry him.

Hoping he stays sweet, it has been ages since I've had a sweet rooster (may his soul rest in peace Toothless) and it would be really nice to have a friend again. Plus I do have a name in mind if he goes the nice rooster route.

I will definitely note that! I'm used to keeping smaller animals at eye level because I'm nervous of scaring them. I'll be sure to avoid that with him in particular then :] I come see him daily but only occasionally I carry him.

Hoping he stays sweet, it has been ages since I've had a sweet rooster (may his soul rest in peace Toothless) and it would be really nice to have a friend again. Plus I do have a name in mind if he goes the nice rooster route.
If he does start showing aggression, you can do your best to nip it at the bud by pushing him away if he attacks. I have a young Buff Orpington roo who thought he was all big and bad. He tried to attack me for the first time, so he went flying. He hasn't messed with me since, so he is still with my flock.

Figured why the heck not and throw in pictures of him in April
20240408_221558.jpg
20240408_221636.jpg
20240408_221628.jpg
So generally noted, he may still exhibit possible aggressive rooster behaviour but I'm hoping he's going to be OK. What's crazy is that I had a rooster who didn't fit the sterotype of rooster behaviour a few years back and now thinking he just may have been a special case.

Back
Top Bottom