Cutting potatoes for seed

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So... most people when they are kids they hear the trick of cutting a potato in 1/2s or 1/4s before you plant it so you can get more. And you save potatoes. You cut it in half, then plant both in separate areas.

In actuality, what I found out is that its higher chance to spoil with a 'wound' that big. You get many that won't sprout right and will spoil when you try to do this trick. Much of it also comes from the idea that you just stored that potato over winter. So its already aged and has been sitting for 6 months. So this helps it spoil...

I had an idea that I wanted to bounce off the rest of you to see if this would work...

I thought it might be possible to prevent the spoilage and still do the cutting trick by... the following options... please post what you think of each;

1) Use small amount of flame to burn the cut side shut, without burning the eyes. Then plant.
2) Use sand, or cement powder?
3) Other suggestions...?

You cut the potato and let it heal naturally for a few days and then plant. Also, don't just cut into halves or quarters, cut into pieces that have eyes on them for sprouting.
I have tried that in the past. But its really easy for mold to get into the cut before it can close over. Perhaps humidity and climate affects this?

Regardless,... thank you for the reply and interest.

Back
Top Bottom