Day Old Peeping Chick

SunChick

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2007
Bel Air, Maryland
Ok I moved the first wave into the brooder, four cuckoo marans yesterday. Today I added the next batch of four. One of the new ones is really cheeping which drives the rest of them nuts..they come over and peck at him. He is quite active. His backside is missing some down from the hatch..he got a little stuck from the membrane drying and the area is a little red which they peck at. I have a red heat lamp which i thought would decrease pecking. Anything I can do for the little guy? Anything I can put on his tush to cover up the red that they won't peck at or am I just going to have to separate him? Pics coming soon...as soon as I get photobucket and my puter to cooperate!

SunChick, There is a spray product called Blue Kote. It's a antiseptic, protective wound dressing, Germiicidal, Fungicidal, that is dark blue in color, covering the red wound. Farm stores everywhere have it.
In the case of a little peep, just a small quick spray would do.It's ok for all domestic animals.

bigzio

I know that in the past I've used it on horses..didn't know you could use it for chicks! Cool idea.
cool.png

I was at the feed store last week asking for anti-peck products and the man said his mother always uses black shoe polish on a chick with a sore. He said the black camoflaged the sore and the alchohol would help healing. So I put a dab on a chick I had separated due to a sore and it worked! Boy was I surprised! He's been back in the flock for a week now and is doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom