Distressed duckling in brooder

Oct 22, 2024
Hi everyone! I was hoping you could give me advice.

My pekin duckling hatched yesterday in the early morning hours (it is now evening next day). The duckling is completely fluffy and dried so we tried to transition her to her brooder this morning. However, whenever I leave her alone in the brooder the duckling becomes distressed. I know ducks are social animals and we shouldn't leave them to be alone, but none of the other eggs have hatched yet. I don't know what to do, because no matter what I do, she always becomes distressed in the brooder alone.

Do you have any tips? am I setting up my brooder wrong? What can I do to make her less distressed?

I would put her back in the incubator. Her peeping will encourage the others to hatch. She is distressed because in her mind, she has become separated from the other ducklings and her mother. She is calling for them.

Hi everyone! I was hoping you could give me advice.

My pekin duckling hatched yesterday in the early morning hours (it is now evening next day). The duckling is completely fluffy and dried so we tried to transition her to her brooder this morning. However, whenever I leave her alone in the brooder the duckling becomes distressed. I know ducks are social animals and we shouldn't leave them to be alone, but none of the other eggs have hatched yet. I don't know what to do, because no matter what I do, she always becomes distressed in the brooder alone.

Do you have any tips? am I setting up my brooder wrong? What can I do to make her less distressed?
Personally I'd leave her in the brooder, just with a little mirror and perhaps a small plush Teddy. She will settle down after a bit. Just make sure she has enough warmth available to her.
Hopefully her siblings hurry along so she won't be alone too long!

I would put her back in the incubator. Her peeping will encourage the others to hatch. She is distressed because in her mind, she has become separated from the other ducklings and her mother. She is calling for them.
Yes, I do find that when I leave her alone in the incubator she is not distressed and settles in quite quickly. I'm going to do that! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom