Do It Yourself, Non Prescription Dewormer/Deworming

CrimsonIdol

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2024
Hello friends,

I know there are a million threads on deworming, but my question is pretty specific. First of all, my chickens don't have any visible worms or problems. This is about preventative maintenance, though I'm sure at some point in the future I'll have to deal with actual worms, so I wouldn't mind insight on that as well.

Problem: In the US, it seems I can't get a de-wormer specific to chickens without visiting an avian vet (or using google-fu and some off brand horse or goat product), and I don't have any avian vets within 100 miles. Furthermore, if there's something that works that isn't a drug, even if I did have a vet that would write me a prescription, I'd probably opt for that.

Anecdote: my sweet sweet hound dog was having anal gland problems. He kept "butt juicing" as we politely referred to it, almost every night in the middle of the night, and the entire room smelled like a can of tuna that had been out in the summer sun for a week. Anyway, I found some stuff on amazon that is basically pressed pumpkin pulp and psyllium husk, and one of those a day has COMPLETELY fixed the problem. Call my cynical, but I have a suspicion that if I took my hound to a vet and told them he was butt juicing every single night, chances are I would at the least have been pumping him with steroids and antibiotics, and more likely would have been footing the bill for a procedure to remove his anal glands. I prefer to keep things simple.

ANYWHO:

Is there an easy to administer, universally available, tried and true de-wormer that anyone here has experience with/recommends? One option is adding something to the water supply, but I've tried that a couple times with ACV and flock booster type powders, and the chickens just won't drink the water if I put any other stuff in it. And, the dosage seems completely dependent on how much they drink from that, and whether they're also drinking from other sources. Anyway, I've found some things on Amazon, and I have no idea of they're legit or snake oil. Specifically, I found a bottle of compressed tablets that contains garlic, wormwood, pumpkin seed, papaya, black walnut, clove powder, aloe vera, berberine. It's $20 for 100. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger. This would be exactly what I'm looking for, if it works - something I feed directly to my chickens rather than mixing in with their water. But I don't know if it's something I would be giving to them once a month, once a week... Next best would be something I could sprinkle on their food for 1 day, so I could visually confirm it had been eaten at the end of the day.

My backyard flock is only 3 chickens (RIP Hennifer), and fenced. It's just the 3 chickens and my hound dog, then whatever coons and possums pass through the yard at night, and the occasional wild bird eating their chicken feed crumbs.

I've had chickens for a little over 2 years, and I have never administered any type of de-wormer, natural or otherwise. I have never had any worm issues. But if it were to ever come up, I would feel horribly negligent for having not taken any preventative care. All they get is layer crumbles and garden-hose water from 3 waterers, changed out once a week. Occasionally they get some cherry tomatoes and sunflower seeds.

Man, that post kind of got out of control. What I'm asking is if anyone has a product they've used consistently for a long period of time and has kept their flock worm free, be that a water additive, a powder they sprinkle on the chicken feed a regular intervals, or a tablet they feed to individual chickens at specific intervals. I'm curious what has worked in the real world.

Thank you for reading my post.

Last edited:
Liquid Safeguard (fenbendazole) and Valbazen (albendazole) are readily available at Tractor Supply and online without a prescription. Both wormers are indicated for use in goats but are safe for chickens at the correct dosage. The only type of worm they don't treat is tapeworm (which is more rare). However, the dosage and duration for each wormer is different (neither of them is water soluble, so you must dose each bird individually).

SafeGuard: 0.25 mL per pound (1.25 mL for a 5 lb bird), once a day x 5 days.

Valbazen: .08 mL per pound (so about 0.50 mL for a 5-6 lb bird) once and then again 10 days later.

The thing with parasites is that you shouldn't seek to prevent them. Because they are resilient, crafty critters, they will eventually overcome anything if exposed to it long enough.
* Many adult parasites have a tough outer layer with pores they can close at will if they don't like something in their environment.
** Many parasites also have multiple stages the young go through with some being incredibly tough and all-drug resistant. Some that can encapsulate themselves in the tissues of the host. These stages are often where resistance develops.

People have tried feed through, continuous parasite control for horses and some other livestock. The eventual result is often a high parasite burden that can't be controlled with any amount of the same medication.

So what I'm saying is, any action a herbal remedy may have against parasites would be nullified by its regular use. And there are very few natural remedies that have any effect. Garlic is probably #1 in efficacy among natural products, but birds including chickens should not be fed continuous high amounts of it or other Alliums due to mild toxicity concerns.

I have no idea of they're legit or snake oil. Specifically, I found a bottle of compressed tablets that contains garlic, wormwood, pumpkin seed, papaya, black walnut, clove powder, aloe vera, berberine.

Some of those ingredients do not instill me with confidence. Do they understand all the potential side effects of some of the herbs?
I've always liked the thought of natural products. But proper herbal medicine requires knowledgeable, experienced, tailored care. There are side effects for every herb, since it's actually a group of chemicals in each plant that have differing effects... compared to pharmacology where specific chemicals have been isolated.
To give an example, a popular "safe" herb can also reduce the red blood cell count. Is it within a safe threshold? That depends on the health specifics of the individual taking it.
A scattershot product is more likely to pose serious health risks than individual, targeted herbs.

There are plenty of effective over-the- counter wormers that are time tested to be chicken safe. (fenbendazole, praziquantel, ivermectin, etc.)
They aren't officially approved in poultry due to concerns about developing resistance, specifically in food animals, and other red tape. They are safe when used as directed, as many BYC members can attest.

I've rarely needed to worm my chickens in a typical environment. Many years not at all. By allowing some exposure and keeping their area relatively clean, their immune systems are usually able to keep parasites in check.
Now on a farm with multiple species of livestock, I've picked up the worming to twice a year.

Local feedstore should have wormer specific to chickens, in pill form, liquid, and likely a small bag of feed with wormer in it. At least they do here in Missouri
Yeah, that's what I'd hoped. I have a Rural King and they don't have anything worm related for chickens at all. They have a refrigerated section with some stuff for cows, horses, and goats, but nothing for chickens either in the medicine section or in the feed section that has to do with deworming. The next town over has a Tractor Supply so I might go check them out this weekend.

I've rarely needed to worm my chickens in a typical environment. Many years not at all. By allowing some exposure and keeping their area relatively clean, their immune systems are usually able to keep parasites in check.
Even this forum would laugh at me if they saw the day-spa and condominium in which my chickens live. Their coop is air conditioned, and I clean it every morning. I clean their feeding buckets and change their water out every weekend. The homeless population in my city would be jealous of their lifestyles.

Yeah, that's what I'd hoped. I have a Rural King and they don't have anything worm related for chickens at all. They have a refrigerated section with some stuff for cows, horses, and goats, but nothing for chickens either in the medicine section or in the feed section that has to do with deworming. The next town over has a Tractor Supply so I might go check them out this weekend.
None of the worming products you will find will be labled for chickens (the closest you're likely to find is the feed pellets which has Turkeys listed, but Inwould not go that route). They will be labeled for use in larger farm animals. This is because there really isn't major research on use in chickens:

Screenshot_20240722_184844_Chrome.jpg

It is safe to use SafeGuard or Valbazen labled for goats/cows as long as you use the recommended dosage.

Whether or not to use wormers preventatively is a personal preference. It may be a good idea to take a fecal sample into a veterinarian to see if worms are present and then make a decision.

I chose to worm my hens this year because it has been wet, humid, and HOT, which make slug, earthworm, and snail populations very high. Slugs, snails, and earthworms can be carriers/hosts of intestinal worms, so when the chickens eat the slugs, etc they are also becoming hosts.

My chickens were also under more stress than usual because I moved them into a new coop. Stress can also make chickens more susceptible to worm overload (they can usually fight off a small amount on their own). All of these factors led to my choice to worm them.

You will need to assess your situation to see if worming is right for your flock. I do agree that it isn't necessary to treat for worms if there aren't circumstances in which you feel they could be overloaded.

I mean a feedstore actual farmers would use lol not a box store aimed towards a rural crowd. However I have seen the wormer pellets marketed specifically for chickens at a boomgars(sp?) farm store

Back
Top Bottom