Doing anything with wild geese is illegal!! reminder!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckstail

Songster
Apr 17, 2018
It seems like nobody here knows the law so I'm going to put it really simple for you guys.. doing anything but looking at wild geese is illegal, without a permit.

You see goslings with no Mom and you want to help them, illegal. You see cold eggs on a nest with no parent and u want to help, illegal. Anything to do with you touching a wild-goose is illegal.

It's pretty ridiculous I even have to tell you guys

In light of the recent emphasis on environmental enforcement matters, individuals and businesses alike should be aware of potential liability under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) for “takes” of birds protected under the treaty—including Canada geese.

The MBTA implements treaties entered into by the United States with Canada, Mexico, Japan, and the Soviet Union. The MBTA makes it illegal to “pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess…transport or cause to be transported, carry or cause to be carried…” migratory birds, nests, or eggs. Regulations promulgated by U.S. Fish and Wildlife define “take” as to actually or attempt to “pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect.” States may promulgate additional and stricter laws or regulations, as long as they are consistent with the MBTA.

Any person who violates the MBTA is guilty of a misdemeanor (although certain knowing violations constitute felonies).

I feel this should, if it doesn’t, apply to ALL wild birds. We have domestic variations, breeds and species for people to raise and keep, and enough of them to rescue as it is. If I ever see wild abandoned eggs, chicks or adults struggling to thrive, I leave them and call the wildlife centre.
Completely my opinion.

Depending on where you live, there are also Good Samaritan laws which give you 24 to 48 hours in most cases to get the bird or other wildlife to a rehabber or other authorized agency.

To just say it's illegal is all fine and good, but there are exceptions to that. Scare tactics aren't what BYC is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom