drakes fighting

duckmom216

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2023
Hi, recently my 3 drakes have been fighting randomly and I’m not sure what to do or when it’ll end. I have 3 drakes shown in the video. No hens. Any advice would be great!
(I broke up the fight and separated right after the video)

Best thing to do is separate each one in their own fenced area until fall. Put them in dog crates inside the coop
@ruthhope can give you info she has a drake flock. Hormones are running high right now. How are they without a pool? We had another member who had all drakes and he had each boy in their own fencing over spring and summer still next to each other so they wouldn’t be lonely.

Best thing to do is separate each one in their own fenced area until fall. Put them in dog crates inside the coop
@ruthhope can give you info she has a drake flock. Hormones are running high right now. How are they without a pool? We had another member who had all drakes and he had each boy in their own fencing over spring and summer still next to each other so they wouldn’t be lonely.
Naughty boys! That doesn't look too serious--more like lack of females to mate so trying to mount a drake instead.i find the squabbling decreases each year.it also varies from day to day depending on who feels he has to exert his dominance on any particular day. As hormone levels start to fall from August, squabbling should reduce and the squabbles will subside

Squabbling drakes are best managed by separation. My yard is big enough and with lots of shrubbery for any boy being picked on to stay away from his tormentor. At night, I have my Pekin drake in a dog crate in the coop to stop him being bullied although he instigates bullying by biting one of my muscovy drakes. The muscovy have pecking order squabbles but not badly enough to warrant separating them. If there was any sign of lost feathers or injuries, I would partition the coop, with a temporary dog pen, into individual compartments. I needed to do that last year to protect a muscovy who was unwell and being bullied.

@duckmom216 are yours squabbling in the coup or just on the wading pool? If they are fighting at night, I would partition your coup temporarily or use a dogcrate for the most pugnacious one to sleep in. Can you make separate but side by side runs so that the boys cannot fight during the day but can see and talk to eachother?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom