DUCK BACK CLAW FELL OFF!

May 6, 2022
Hello BYC, today I have some scary news. Today when I let my ducks out of their pin they did their usual short flight to the kiddie pool. Later in the day I was playing with them and I noticed something odd on the back of one of their feet. It turns out the back claw fell OFF. I guess while flying he land wrong, or hurt his claw getting out of the kiddie pool. The toe is still intact and looks normal, but the claw is completely gone. There is no bleeding. The duck itself is acting normal. The only other thing is i have to treat its foot for a mild bumblefoot case, so nothing else too severe. But, is this normal and will the claw grow back? If not is there anyway I can treat this?

Attachments

• 20221109_175000.jpg
    20221109_175000.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221109_175000.jpg
    20221109_175000.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 9
the nail will grow back and he will be fine. when my boy was younger he would break his back nail off atleast once every couple of months (he moved to "fly" but didn't know how to land after he got in the air🤦‍♀️)
Oh thank goodness I was really worried, but now I am just gonna stay calm and bandage the foot and disinfect the foot daily.

Hello BYC, today I have some scary news. Today when I let my ducks out of their pin they did their usual short flight to the kiddie pool. Later in the day I was playing with them and I noticed something odd on the back of one of their feet. It turns out the back claw fell OFF. I guess while flying he land wrong, or hurt his claw getting out of the kiddie pool. The toe is still intact and looks normal, but the claw is completely gone. There is no bleeding. The duck itself is acting normal. The only other thing is i have to treat its foot for a mild bumblefoot case, so nothing else too severe. But, is this normal and will the claw grow back? If not is there anyway I can treat this?
My girls have both lost a back nail, Sprightly broke hers off really bad once, it was a scare, It took a while to stop the bleeding but she was just fine. And it grows back in time!
Honestly these nails seem so useless sometimes, and so easy to break.

I'm sure your duck will be just fine! Just keep an eye on him

My girls have both lost a back nail, Sprightly broke hers off really bad once, it was a scare, It took a while to stop the bleeding but she was just fine. And it grows back in time!
Honestly these nails seem so useless sometimes, and so easy to break.

I'm sure your duck will be just fine! Just keep an eye on him
Thank you that's good your ducks toe nail grew back, and yes I agree that the back nail on their feet do seem pretty useless. I am just gonna disinfect it daily until it starts to heal.

Out of my 16 ducks I have 4-5 with no back claw
I honestly think they are more harm then good
My one boy broke his getting out of the kid pool at a few months old and we did have to go to the vet to have it cauterized as the bleeding wouldn’t stop and the nail was sideways broken but not off
They fixed him up
The others they just fell off and I never knew till I looked
All have had zero issues from them being gone

Out of my 16 ducks I have 4-5 with no back claw
I honestly think they are more harm then good
My one boy broke his getting out of the kid pool at a few months old and we did have to go to the vet to have it cauterized as the bleeding wouldn’t stop and the nail was sideways broken but not off
They fixed him up
The others they just fell off and I never knew till I looked
All have had zero issues from them being gone
Yeah my duck has no bleeding, so I shouldn't have to worry. If he did start to bleeding I would take him to the vet immediately. But so far everything is good😀

Yeah my duck has no bleeding, so I shouldn't have to worry. If he did start to bleeding I would take him to the vet immediately. But so far everything is good😀
vets are only really necessary if the bleeding cant be stopped- You should be able to stop it by sprinkling some corn starch on, or dabbing gently with a paper towel-- if it doesnt stop a vet is always a good idea. But I'm sure you wont have any trouble with it!

Back
Top Bottom