Ear infection? Mites?

dottie15

Chirping
May 18, 2022
Hello,
My rooster has been shaking his head side to side a few times since yesterday. He’s also been scratching at his ear with his nails and because of it, I believe he cut the bottom of his comb because he has a scab there now and dried blood right below on his feathers behind his head. I circled the area green on the picture. I’ve been cleaning it with iodine and putting hen healer on it. I’m treating my flock of 6 at the moment because we have a small case of lice that I’ve only found on my rooster so far. On Monday I dusted them all with Gardstar poultry dust and sprayed the coop and nesting area. I plan to do this again over the weekend. Because of the scratching and head shaking, I’m thinking it’s an ear infection but when I checked both of his ears, they were clear. Any idea on what could be going on? I have Vetericyn, Vetrx, hydrogen peroxide, and Wax Out organic ear oil on hand. Can I use any of these? Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_7552.jpeg
    IMG_7552.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • Resized_20240620_074941_1718894994976.jpeg
    Resized_20240620_074941_1718894994976.jpeg
    652 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7554.jpeg
    IMG_7554.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7555.jpeg
    IMG_7555.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 4
If the inside of the ear is clean and clear, then he doesn't have an ear infection.

If he's got a cut on the back of his comb, he may be a bit itchy if there's a scab. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to help heal the cut and sooth the area. You can use the Hen Healer if you wish.

Dust everyone with the Permethrin if the rooster has lice, this may be what's bothering him, lice may be crawling all over his head.

Repeat treatment in 7 day intervals.

1718942050582.png

If the inside of the ear is clean and clear, then he doesn't have an ear infection.

If he's got a cut on the back of his comb, he may be a bit itchy if there's a scab. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to help heal the cut and sooth the area. You can use the Hen Healer if you wish.

Dust everyone with the Permethrin if the rooster has lice, this may be what's bothering him, lice may be crawling all over his head.

Repeat treatment in 7 day intervals.

View attachment 3868168
Great, thank you very much for your response. I brought him to the vet just to be safe and to get an overall health check on him. I will continue with the treatment for lice on all of them.

Back
Top Bottom