giselaespitia

Chirping
May 5, 2021
I have 2 Easter Eggers and am wanting to see if anyone can let me know if they are pullets? They hatched May 28th.

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpeg
    IMG_1246.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1248.jpeg
    IMG_1248.jpeg
    378.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    521.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 49
How can you tell? What should I look for, to tell the difference?
The reason I say the first one is a cockerel is because typically Easter Eggers color patterns are less splotchy on females. The color flows better.

The cockerels commonly get random red patches on their shoulders. Also, the comb of the first one pictured is pretty red for only 11 weeks old. The pullets will typically remain pale pink until they get closer to laying eggs.

EEs are tricky. Sometimes the females will show the appearance of pointy feathers around the neck (indication of a cockerel) but upon closer inspection the feathers are rounded with pointy patterns on them.

The only foolproof is to wait for a crow or an egg!

The reason I say the first one is a cockerel is because typically Easter Eggers color patterns are less splotchy on females. The color flows better.

The cockerels commonly get random red patches on their shoulders. Also, the comb of the first one pictured is pretty red for only 11 weeks old. The pullets will typically remain pale pink until they get closer to laying eggs.

EEs are tricky. Sometimes the females will show the appearance of pointy feathers around the neck (indication of a cockerel) but upon closer inspection the feathers are rounded with pointy patterns on them.

The only foolproof is to wait for a crow or an egg!
Thank you!!! When do they usually crow? Because my husband swears he heard a crow.

He's a handsome feller, do you plan to keep him? A caveat, one hen is typically not enough to satisfy a rooster and she could be injured if she is his only er, interest. Eight to ten hens per male is advised. Also, males tend to reach puberty about a month earlier than females so you may need to separate them for a while, otherwise he will give her no peace and could seriously hurt her. Cockerels have been known to scalp hens with their amorous attentions.

He's a handsome feller, do you plan to keep him? A caveat, one hen is typically not enough to satisfy a rooster and she could be injured if she is his only er, interest. Eight to ten hens per male is advised. Also, males tend to reach puberty about a month earlier than females so you may need to separate them for a while, otherwise he will give her no peace and could seriously hurt her. Cockerels have been known to scalp hens with their amorous attentions.
So for sure it’s a male? I’m in denial 😂

So for sure it’s a male? I’m in denial 😂
One thing I will add to with first comb being redder is that if it is hot the comb gets red to cool off the chicken. I have two EEs who are both layers now and they looked like that at that age But the number one color in the tail is giving rooster 😬 pulled from a photo from facebook of a similar-looking chicken that is sadly a rooster.

Attachments

• 450858175_509827538678085_6847713277570839970_n.jpg
    450858175_509827538678085_6847713277570839970_n.jpg
    758.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom