Easter Egger Rooster and Plymouth Barred Rock

swoodman406

Hatching
Jun 23, 2020
Hello! This is my first post! I have had chickens for a few years now! I just had to start my flock over after a move. I ended up with a beautiful EE rooster and recently purchased some PBR chicks. My goal is to sell the PBR EE chicks once my current flock is old enough to lay and breed. Im just wanting clarification on a couple of things. These would not be Black Star chickens, but would the concept be the same? Barring would pass hen to cockerel and coloring would pass rooster to pullet? Does this combination also make it easy to sex the chicks when they hatch? And resulting hens would lay green, correct? Thank you!
321E9F44-62F0-4825-8030-4D417D8F4CE1.jpeg

Since Easter Eggers can lay either blue, green or pink eggs, there is no telling which gene your EE rooster has.

If he has the gene to lay green eggs, then mixed with a brown egg layer it would create olive green eggs but the lighter side of olive green. Same if it has the blue egg gene.

If it has the pink egg gene I would imagine it would just be a lighter brown, maybe cream?

Here is a link to a thread that talks about sex links. Because EE are hybrids already, I don't think they can be used to create sex links since they may have a gene that can't be seen. I'm not very familiar with the genetics side yet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sex-linked-information.261208/

Agree with the above on egg colour. Yes, any barred hen to a non-barred rooster will give sex linked chicks with the cockerels being barred and the pullets not. However, your rooster looks to have some pattern in him so that may complicate matters making it a little difficult to tell on hatching.

I don't agree with egg color from above.
There is no green or pink egg gene.
There is shell color which is blue or non blue (white)
And there are brown genes that get painted over the shell color.
There's no guarantee which genes the rooster carries so no guarantee what he will pass on.
The hens carry white shell and brown coating so that is a guarantee. IMO you won't get any olive but most likely some green and some brown.
It is also incorrect that the rooster passes color to the offspring. The offsprings color will be a combination of which ever genes they recieve from both parents.
In your case the barred rocks will pass barring to the males and no barring to the females.
The barred rocks will also pass their black to the offspring which will be pretty dominate so chicks will most likely hatch mostly black which will make the head spot or lack of easy to see.
Chicks will probably end up with leakage as adults with males showing much more then females.

Hello! This is my first post! I have had chickens for a few years now! I just had to start my flock over after a move. I ended up with a beautiful EE rooster and recently purchased some PBR chicks. My goal is to sell the PBR EE chicks once my current flock is old enough to lay and breed. Im just wanting clarification on a couple of things. These would not be Black Star chickens, but would the concept be the same? Barring would pass hen to cockerel and coloring would pass rooster to pullet? Does this combination also make it easy to sex the chicks when they hatch? And resulting hens would lay green, correct? Thank you!View attachment 2208806
Hi and welcome to BYC! I’m so glad you joined! Beautiful rooster!!

Yes, there is no single green egg gene, I was more thinking about the rooster having a blue egg gene and the PBR having a brown gene making green together. More specifically agreeing with the statement about the eggs being essentially any colour.

Back
Top Bottom