Eating but losing weight?

The Happster

Happs
Apr 5, 2020
Cloud Nine
Hi guys, I have a rooster here about 3 years old who has been slowly losing weight. I've been watching for the last couple of weeks to make sure he is definitely eating, but his crop never seems to fill up. He is typically on an average layer feed but I've been offering him raw egg, yoghurt & some grower feed the last few days to see if I can get some more weight on him. He's been deteriorating rapidly the last 48 hours and is now at the point where he is finding it harder to stand up and I don't really know what to do for him. Advice would be appreciated.

Sorry, I just don't know. It might be something internal that cause him to lose weight, can you take him to the VET?
All I know is that if a chicken does not eat, then it is very sick as chicken hide its illness very well. All sort of things, like worms, lice and mites, ,,etc. Sorry that I can not be much help.

Sorry, I just don't know. It might be something internal that cause him to lose weight, can you take him to the VET?
All I know is that if a chicken does not eat, then it is very sick as chicken hide its illness very well. All sort of things, like worms, lice and mites, ,,etc. Sorry that I can not be much help.
I appreciate the suggestions, thank you. :)

Are there other roosters or hens who might be keeping him from food? Is he molting? I have seen roosters loose weight and become weak during their yearly molt. One even was dethroned and run off by the younger second in command rooster. Check his crop in early morning to make sure it is completely emptying overnight. Then offer some moistened chicken feed, plus a bit of scrambled egg, and alternate with a bit of rinsed canned tuna or ground meat. B complex vitamin tablets can be used 1/2 tablet daily crushed into his food to stimulate appetite and give him strength.

Back
Top Bottom