Egg bound or broody?

sbergstrom09

Chirping
Jul 27, 2023
Hi! My hen who is just over a year old (Easter Egger) has been in the nesting box A LOT. She was in possibly all last night and majority of the day today. The past two days frequently, more yesterday. She is making really low short clucks and almost “growls” when other hens go near her. She has let me pet her and take her out of the nesting box no problem. She had two eggs from other hens under her today and let me take them but went back into one of the boxes after. She looks like she is in egg laying position, tail up. Is she egg bound or broody? I want to treat her asap if she is egg bound. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 80
Hi! My hen who is just over a year old (Easter Egger) has been in the nesting box A LOT. She was in possibly all last night and majority of the day today. The past two days frequently, more yesterday. She is making really low short clucks and almost “growls” when other hens go near her. She has let me pet her and take her out of the nesting box no problem. She had two eggs from other hens under her today and let me take them but went back into one of the boxes after. She looks like she is in egg laying position, tail up. Is she egg bound or broody? I want to treat her asap if she is egg bound. Thanks!
The sounds and behaviors that you described fits a broody hen to a "T".
Also, the fact that she is sitting on eggs.

The sounds and behaviors that you described fits a broody hen to a "T".
Also, the fact that she is sitting on eggs.
Oh ok! She hasn’t laid in a few days, is that normal for a broody hen? That’s where I was concerned about her being egg bound vs broody

She did lay a few days ago but hasn’t in about 3. Last week she climbed into the nesting box, pushed one
I never noticed that with my broody hen whether or not she laid eggs while broody...anybody know?
of the hens out and laid down. The other hen pushed her way back in and laid on top of her, then laid her egg while sitting on her! Funniest thing! There are also three other nesting boxes right next to that one haha

Back
Top Bottom