Egg laid with holes in one end.

Chickenmama1966

Chirping
May 10, 2022
My 2 hens both laid eggs with holes in the end in one day. I put them in the fridge immediately upon finding them. Are they safe to eat? I wonder what caused this?

Attachments

• 20240713_124226.jpg
    20240713_124226.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 49
It could be a result of mycoplasma synoviae infection, looks fairly typical of it. If so, eggs are fine to eat, ideally sooner rather than later as the shell is compromised. Usually the hens in question will recover and their eggs will look normal again.

I have one with a shell gland issue. Her eggs do that when she is low on calcium. Mine have oyster shell and I clean and crush egg shells but I also give her a calcium tablet every week just to help her out.

Looks like a shelling gland malfunction, rather than hard surface contact break.

How old, in months, are these birds?
Is this the first time you've seen this?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Any diet or environmental changes prior to this problem?
They are over 2 year old birds. They have been laying a few with bubbles on the end before the holes. I am feeding them organic crumbles with Crack scratch for treats. No changes, it's just been very hot.

I have one with a shell gland issue. Her eggs do that when she is low on calcium. Mine have oyster shell and I clean and crush egg shells but I also give her a calcium tablet every week just to help her out.
I only have the 2 hens, feed them oyster shells and their own crushed shells.

Back
Top Bottom