Embryo in nesting box

gwright6

Chirping
Sep 20, 2022
Well this is a first. Only been at this for about 3 years now. Today I found what appears to be a 10-14 day embryo with a broken egg. Has anyone ever experience this? If this is the case, my chicken has been walking around with an egg in her for that period of time... and not laying it. How often does this happen? Any info on this would be appreciated.

I wouldn't think an egg could incubate inside of a hen because they need oxygen going through their shells to be able to incubate I believe.

Also, if she had that egg in her for that long then she would've been showing signs of being egg bound.

Is it possible that the egg could've been hiding under nesting material until now?

Some snakes can hatch eggs internally but would be strange for a bird! Could it be a baby robin or starling or something that fell out of a nest somewhere (a young altrical bird species)?

Well this is a first. Only been at this for about 3 years now. Today I found what appears to be a 10-14 day embryo with a broken egg. Has anyone ever experience this? If this is the case, my chicken has been walking around with an egg in her for that period of time... and not laying it. How often does this happen? Any info on this would be appreciated.
Sounds like you may have a hidden nest if it was a chicken egg.

I have metal nesting boxes- 16 double decked. I have the rubber pads in them and I clean them every day. There is no way that egg could have been in there any length of time. The egg was broken and the embryo was just laying there . Very strange indeaed

I have metal nesting boxes- 16 double decked. I have the rubber pads in them and I clean them every day. There is no way that egg could have been in there any length of time. The egg was broken and the embryo was just laying there . Very strange indeaed

Back
Top Bottom