End of Life / Quality of Life help

Mdavchicks

Chirping
Jul 22, 2022
Hi all. I am at a loss for what to do for my Honey girl. She is a 3 year old Buff Orpington who has horrible arthritis. In the past two days it has become drastically worse. She is having trouble standing, has to flap her wings to stand up and her legs give out if she tries to stand for too long (a minute or longer). When she walks, it seems so painful (kind of like someone who is walking on hot coals). For the past year/year and half we have been dealing with her arthritis- putting her on the roost at night and taking her off every morning. Before Monday, she was gingerly walking around some (not much at all but this is her normal- overtime it has gotten worse) and hanging with the flock. Starting Monday she has been wanting to stay in the coop and I have been bringing her food and water in there. I absolutely hate to see her like this, it breaks my heart. I don't know what to do for her. She does not have bumble foot and is very healthy otherwise. Eats, drinks and poops are normal. She is still laying eggs about every other day. A vet is not in the cards unfortunately.

My question is- is there anything I can do to keep her more comfortable? How do you know when it is time to cull? We have never had to cull a chicken before so I have no idea where to even start with that. We love her dearly and want to do right by her. Thank y'all in advance for any guidance.

Added pics of my girl when her arthritis wasn't too bad ❤️

Attachments

• Honey1.jpeg
    Honey1.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Honey2.jpeg
    Honey2.jpeg
    826.9 KB · Views: 2
Have you tried acidfying her diet any? Add Apple Cider Vinegar to her water, & 1-2 Tart Cherry Extract Capsules right in her beak 1-2 times daily.
It's great for both arthritis, & gout.

Back
Top Bottom