Feeding Peafowl (my feeding regime)

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
So I thought I would share what I feed my birds with everyone. I have spent alot of time going through veterinary notes and discussing with other breeders what works best here's what I've found. I mix the food in a dust bin.

I start with a base of 24% gamebird ration (50 lbs) I get mine locally from a feed store. Unfortunately it's 15% soy by mass which is why I add other ingredients.

I add large breed puppy kibble to provide animal protein and animal protein based nutrients. I sprinkle this in liberally with the game bird grower. I do not use catfood because it is high in sodium which isn't the best for the birds.

I take a gallon ice cream bucket and fill it up with black oil sunflower seeds. These provide healthy fats which provide a good treat and help the birds stay warm in winter. I mix the seeds in while adding the gamebird ration. Black oil sunflower seeds are much healthier for the birds than corn which is mostly starch. Cracked corn can also cause gizzard impaction so I don't reccomend feeding it.

I then add koi food to the mix. Good koi food is mainly comprised of fish meal which provides the birds with healthy lean protein and many different amino acids that may not be included in your standard gamebird ration.

Lastly I sprinkle in a few cups of Farmers Ultra Kibble. This stuff is full of healthy greens, protein, and micronutrients and is specifically formulated for pheasants and peafowl.

I hope you find this helpful.

Back
Top Bottom