Fox proof - confused! For nights away

Chickydeelady

Hatching
Jun 29, 2024
Hi there,
My big white man and hard shed floor usually protect our ladies but I'm a new chicken owner and constructed things myself a bit higgledy piggledy - and looking for fox proofing for us to be away 2-4 nights on occasion. I'd coop them for 2 nights and they're under a huge shaded tree but with summer coming here in Aus, the auto door is going in and it's time to uplevel.
Pic attached. It's a lot bigger than it looks so I'm trying to modify cost and time effective (ha). I'm adding lots of extra horizontal and vertical beams plus hard roof with beams. But the chicken wire - first was heavy dog wire - is only 1mm which is 18 gauge.
the gravel side is 60cm high and impenetrable and have created decent aprons around each other side. Where I need help is how to make this safe. And as these projects take so long for me, love any short cut ideas.
Apart from all the extra wood and stapling plus roof, I'm guessing this chicken wire is too thin. Would heavier wire/hardware cloth need to cover even the very high parts above 1.8metres? Possibly add corrugated iron at the bottom parts and dead hedge?
They'll be in safe coop at night but there are daytime foxes.

I know that ripping it all off and putting on the hardware cloth would of course be best case scenario. I'm trying to avoid that for a lot of reasons. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_5148.jpeg
    IMG_5148.jpeg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5136.jpeg
    IMG_5136.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom