Vickydolittle

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2024
So I live where it is HOT! I like to let my chickens free range as we have several areas of shelter/shade. However, I only keep water in their run. Should I put water in other frequented spots across the acreage? I'm just worried about forgetting to dump/replenish the other areas and accidentally breed mosquitos and other unwanted visitors. I don't want them do die because they have overheated and don't have any water. They are 11 weeks old.

Ditto the above. Having a few outside the coop wouldn't hurt

I keep one very big waterer near, but outside the coop(s). The youngsters tend to stick pretty close. Some youngsters are more prone to wandering; those are more at risk for more than just dehydration.

The adults go wherever they please. They are mindful enough to know when they need to drink, and when/how to stay cool

They are 11 weeks old.
Growing up on the farm Dad had a free-ranging flock of one rooster, 25 to 30 hens, and had different groups of chicks growing up. They did not stay in one flock, they really spread out. The only consistent source of water was the farm pond where the cattle and horses also drank. They never died of thirst, even in our ridiculous heat waves. As long as they know where it is I'd expect your 11-week-old chicks to return for water when they need it.

I don't do it that way. I have a multigenerational flock so I have several feed and water stations scattered so the older ones cannot bully the younger away from the food or water. To me it is not a big burden to regularly change water at least every other day to avoid mosquitoes from breeding in those waterers. That water needs to stay clean anyway. I have a water source at the coop. I don't know how much it would bother you to carry water, for some people that would be a huge burden. But if you make a routine of it you are not likely to forget. It may just take you a few days to set that routine.

I set up covered bucket waterers outfitted with nipples in a few spots around the farm. Keeps bugs & debris out and I only have to change the water weekly.

So I live where it is HOT! I like to let my chickens free range as we have several areas of shelter/shade. However, I only keep water in their run. Should I put water in other frequented spots across the acreage? I'm just worried about forgetting to dump/replenish the other areas and accidentally breed mosquitos and other unwanted visitors. I don't want them do die because they have overheated and don't have any water. They are 11 weeks old.
I live in Mesa, Arizona. We let our chickens roam the yard during the summer because there are areas they like to go to cool down. They have their water and feeder in the coop. We also put an extra water dish in the coop, one in the rose bush area, and one in our tropical garden area. We clean them out in the morning and the afternoon. We'll also put a frozen water bottle in each water dish in the afternoon. At night we'll bring in the bottles and put them back on the freezer. We also have a drip system in their chicken run and tropical garden that comes on at least 2-4 times a day, depending on the heat. We also have a fan in their nesting area, two in the coop, and a small one in our little silkie nesting area. It's a lot of work and trust me, once you start doing it, you won't forget the other water dishes. It just becomes a habit. FYI, They love it when the drip system comes on.

Growing up on the farm Dad had a free-ranging flock of one rooster, 25 to 30 hens, and had different groups of chicks growing up. They did not stay in one flock, they really spread out. The only consistent source of water was the farm pond where the cattle and horses also drank. They never died of thirst, even in our ridiculous heat waves. As long as they know where it is I'd expect your 11-week-old chicks to return for water when they need it.

I don't do it that way. I have a multigenerational flock so I have several feed and water stations scattered so the older ones cannot bully the younger away from the food or water. To me it is not a big burden to regularly change water at least every other day to avoid mosquitoes from breeding in those waterers. That water needs to stay clean anyway. I have a water source at the coop. I don't know how much it would bother you to carry water, for some people that would be a huge burden. But if you make a routine of it you are not likely to forget. It may just take you a few days to set that routine.
One of their favorite hangout spots is fairly close to the house, so I went ahead and put some water close to it (but still in the shade and they have found it!) I think between the two it should be enough as they stay fairly close to coop and house vs open hay field. It should be easy enough to remember and as you said routine.

The eggs will not hatch for 24 to 48 hours. After that they need at least two days to become adults. This gives you some leeway, you don't have to change water every day.

I have low height water pans available in several places where mine are ranging. (The chickens seem to like dirty pasture puddle water best.) I have to dump every 3 to 5 days for mosquitoes. I also have to dump out toads a lot.

Back
Top Bottom