Garden scraps

Possum-Pie

Songster
Jun 23, 2022
Pennsylvania
It's almost August and stuff is coming in fast and furious in our garden. I end up with tons of scraps that used to be thrown in the compost bin but I began experimenting with feeding some to the hens. I know any nightshade (potato/tomato) vines are not to be given to them, but most other things in a garden are safe. They LOVE watermelon/cantalope and will eat that down to the tough skin. They only eat greens (lettuce, turnip, kale) if I tie them up in a pinata-type thing with a string and hang it up. They circle around and peck pieces off in turn. They love tomato waste, I canned 20 quarts of tomato sauce and they loved the skins and seeds. There are some things they ignore I thought yellow squash would be a hit but they looked at it and walked away (maybe the seeds are too big?).

Does anybody find treats from the garden that their hens especially like that I haven't mentioned? We have string beans coming in, limas, and carrots...Already tried carrot tops and they won't touch them!

I know any nightshade (potato/tomato) vines are not to be given to them,
Hello I have a group of 24 completely free chickens that don't even have a coop. That's how free they are. They can go where they want and eat what they want. For shelter from rain they stand under trees or car ports and some even just stand upright in the rain and don't care. This spring and summer they ate my tomato plants leaves, flowers, and stems. They are all fine. None have stickys butts.

Does anyone have information about tomato plants to not be given to chickens? Is there proof this is bad? Or maybe bad for only specific types of chickens?

Edit: From birth they all have eaten organic crumble or pellets daily, but being free they also get to choose what plants they eat.

LOL it's funny how flocks differ. Mine LOVE carrot tops but lettuce is only worth pooping on.

With the squash, did you try cutting it open lengthwise? Mine will eat some squash but very clearly do not like the standard dark green grocery store type zucchinis.
Very true!

Kale is ours absolute favorite. I've heard people feed theirs pumpkin and squash, but ours just peck once and walk away. They won't eat the lettuce either.

When we open the fence so they can get in the garden after we're done they eat whatever they can find or want. Usually, it's the kale stubs as I've cut and froze what's left, and some tomatoes that went too far I just left for them.

Hello I have a group of 24 completely free chickens that don't even have a coop. That's how free they are. They can go where they want and eat what they want. For shelter from rain they stand under trees or car ports and some even just stand upright in the rain and don't care. This spring and summer they ate my tomato plants leaves, flowers, and stems. They are all fine. None have stickys butts.

Does anyone have information about tomato plants to not be given to chickens? Is there proof this is bad? Or maybe bad for only specific types of chickens?

Edit: From birth they all have eaten organic crumble or pellets daily, but being free they also get to choose what plants they eat.

Potato and tomatoes are part of the nightshade family and contain Solanine, a toxin. The potato and tomato themselves generally don't contain the toxin, just the vines.
While the "official" word is that any amount of tomato vine is toxic to chickens, this obviously is NOT the truth. Too many people talk of their hens eating entire tomato plants without ill effects. BUT, it is toxic to some extent causing gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea if too much is eaten. Solanine affects the heart as well, and while it may not harm a healthy hen, one with underlying heart defects may be affected. It has been known to cause neurological problems, dizziness, and coordination problems as well. SO....don't panic if the chickens eat some, but don't actively encourage them to eat it.

Last edited:
My flock loves zucchini, melons, blueberries, and almost all greens. They don’t eat strawberries or collards.
I never tried collards for them...Like I mentioned before, they will only eat greens if I wrap twine around them, hang them up so they can circle around and peck at the leaves. If I put them on the ground, they ignore them...
Their favorite is mulberries. When I built their run, I included a mulberry tree in the middle. I'd go out when they were ripe, shake the tree, and the girls ran around like gold was falling from the sky! :wee

I never tried collards for them...Like I mentioned before, they will only eat greens if I wrap twine around them, hang them up so they can circle around and peck at the leaves. If I put them on the ground, they ignore them...
Their favorite is mulberries. When I built their run, I included a mulberry tree in the middle. I'd go out when they were ripe, shake the tree, and the girls ran around like gold was falling from the sky! :wee
I got some collards in a bag of chopped greens and that’s the only thing that didn’t get eaten so I don’t buy them.

I think it’s easier for them to eat the greens when tied in a bundle because the bundles are held in place so it’s more like eating off a plant. Mine prefer their greens this way also, but I do buy chopped mixed greens from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom