Geese chewing each others feet

Vallen

Hatching
Jul 29, 2024
Heya. My wife and I are newer crofters in Scotland with 4 young Sebastopol geese (a few months old). They have a roomy shed for their evenings and a yard to wander. They have recently started taking to attacking each others feet in the morning and now, two of the four have some bleeding injuries on their feet. We've received some cream from the vet and have used it and now some purple spray but these are healing items. We'd much rather prevent this altogether. They don't care about their feet during all the rest of the day, just first thing on waking up. Has anyone experienced this before and does anyone have any advice? Online searching just shows dog chews and goosefoot medical issues in people... :p

Welcome to BYC. Are they doing this while they are in still in their coop?
If so what size is it?

Thanks! They are doing this only in the coop as far as we've seen (we have a camera inside). Maybe once I saw them do it outside. The area they have is maybe 6x4 for their bedding area and we clean the droppings and lay fresh bedding each day.

Thanks! They are doing this only in the coop as far as we've seen (we have a camera inside). Maybe once I saw them do it outside. The area they have is maybe 6x4 for their bedding area and we clean the droppings and lay fresh bedding each day.
Is there any way to make it bigger?

Yes. We have a smaller area next to it we had planned for our ducks. Are you suspecting it to be too small a space being the cause?

Yes. We have a smaller area next to it we had planned for our ducks. Are you suspecting it to be too small a space being the cause?
Yes...I am thinking it may be part of the issue, being too small.

Back
Top Bottom