Getting prepared for a potential respiratory sickness: how?

TexasWineGuy

Songster
5 Years
Jun 15, 2019
Magnolia, TX
Howdy All,

In the past I have used Tylan 50 liquid given orally 2X per day for any respiratory issues. This worked well. When I did this my daughter helped me to hold the hens as I gave the meds to them orally.

Now however, I don't have that help (by myself) so I'm asking the group for treatment suggestions IF I have future problems.

Suggestions? Tylosin in the water? Other?

TWG

Wait until they are perched sleeping at night, wrap them with a towel and dose. Antibiotics in water can actually do more harm than good because you cannot get an exact dose. Overdosing antibiotics can wreak havoc on their body from death to completely destroying their digestive system. Under dosing will cause whatever you are trying to kill off to come back with a vengeance.

Wait until they are perched sleeping at night, wrap them with a towel and dose. Antibiotics in water can actually do more harm than good because you cannot get an exact dose. Overdosing antibiotics can wreak havoc on their body from death to completely destroying their digestive system. Under dosing will cause whatever you are trying to kill off to come back with a vengeance.
The only issue I see with that is I would only be able to dose 1X per day, which I think is insufficient for Tylan 50.

Folks on this site recommended treating 2-3X per day.

Thoughts?

TWG

I was given advice on here to use Tylosin powder in the water. You can order on Jedds. I have used Tiaguard in the water before and it did help but I've heard Tylosin powder is better and I may switch to that.

I was given advice on here to use Tylosin powder in the water. You can order on Jedds. I have used Tiaguard in the water before and it did help but I've heard Tylosin powder is better and I may switch to that.
My vet is 100% against using antibiotics in water. He said that is why they are starting to become more strict and enforcing antibiotic controls even more. Because people are not giving the correct dose and instead of solving the problem they are creating antibiotic resistance. He said that paired with people reaching straight for the antibiotic for every sneeze or cough is creating a huge problem where eventually if people keep this up antibiotics will be completely useless.

My vet is 100% against using antibiotics in water. He said that is why they are starting to become more strict and enforcing antibiotic controls even more. Because people are not giving the correct dose and instead of solving the problem they are creating antibiotic resistance. He said that paired with people reaching straight for the antibiotic for every sneeze or cough is creating a huge problem where eventually if people keep this up antibiotics will be completely useless.

This is why people here suggest direct dose of Antibiotics: meds in the water do not necessarily provide the correct dose, in the needed timeframe.

TWG

This is why people here suggest direct dose of Antibiotics: meds in the water do not necessarily provide the correct dose, in the needed timeframe.

TWG
Yep that’s why in my first post I said not to give it in water and to direct dose. My vet said he is already having cases where animals are not even responding to high dose antibiotics because their owners were dosing the animals themselves too often and not the correct dosage.

Back
Top Bottom