Goslings Hatched - Now what?

Heckedypeg

Hatching
Mar 6, 2024
My geese have been sitting on a clutch of 7 eggs. We found a gosling this morning, with the female goose still sitting on eggs. What do we do now? How will I know if the parents are caring for the babies? Should we take it and raise it ourselves? What do goslings need in terms of food and water?

I always put food and water very close to the setting goose. The goslings will come out and eat, and stick by the goose. Generally she will stay on or by the nest for a few days before beginning to slowly moving off.

I feed mine Purina flock raiser crumbles. I use a chick waterer, than move up to a gallon waterer, than a ice cream pail, or similar pan.

How will I know if the parents are caring for the babies? Should we take it and raise it ourselves? What do goslings need in terms of food and water?
You’ll know if they start killing/attacking the goslings they are bad parents. If that happens then yes, raise them in a brooder yourselves. Wait till they’re large enough and fully feathered to be reintegrated safely with the adult birds.

Don’t be alarmed by their parental correction and confuse it for assault. It looks rough at times but those nips and grabs from the parents are necessary for teaching.

Back
Top Bottom