Green Tomatoes

LJoWilly

Songster
7 Years
Oct 28, 2016
Illinois
Anyone have any issues with green tomatoes? I recently lost a turkey to liver failure due to suspected Blackheads disease. I have another turkey that hangs out with the chickens, and Frank (RIP) did not hang around them. I know that just being on the same soil, a turkey can get Blackheads. The only thing that sticks out, is that a month before he passed he started eating my green tomatoes to where I had to put a fence around them, and he would still manage to stick his head through the fence. We opted not to do post mortem necropsy, as I didn't want him to be cut open. I want your thoughts and opinions, because this group is full of knowledgeable people that have been through many of instances.
Thank you.
Leanna

Hi Leanna, and sorry for your loss.

Many have said green tomatoes are fine, and so many folks say their poultry eat them without issue. I think everything in moderation, though, so if your turkeys were just getting a few here and there, I wouldn't think that would be harmful. There are several threads on here where people asked that same question and the answers are always the same pretty much. Here is one such old post:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/question-can-chickens-eat-unriped-tomatoes.899551/

Back
Top Bottom