guineas attacking rooster.

My guineas still chase my rooster, but now its a bit better since they are not overnight in the coop, so its just first thing that the chase ensues. I am going to give them back to the lady I got them from. I'm just not so happy with the fight. I raised them from 5 days old and with the others chicks, so I'm upset they aren't getting along.

I'm glad I'm not the only one having the same problem with the guineas. Now I know for the future, gotta have a lot more of a flock to keep them from going after the chickens.

Ann

Quote:
Darn, that's disappointing. Do you suppose if we got rid of the one guinea that's doing all the chasing, the next one would just step up and take over that aggressive role?

It's possible... heavily leaning towards probable. Male Guineas are just extra prone to turning into idiots during breeding season. Is there anyway you can pen them up separately, and just free range theem separately from your chickens? I now that will be a PITA, but... it keeps the peace.

Finally decided to get rid of the one problematic bird. I remember someone saying Guineas could be "relentless", and that is the perfect word for this guy. We went to a lot of effort to select out a mild-mannered rooster (his downfall with this Guinea, apparently), and would rather keep him that the ill-mannered guinea. I realize that the problem may just start up again with the other Guineas, and we'll just have to deal with that as it comes. Going by the calls they are making, it looks like all three of the young guineas we got two months ago could be females. I'm wondering it that might keep the remaining male happy. We'll see.

We were going on the advice of an old farmer friend when we got the guinea fowl in the first place. Since we live in the country, we hoped they would help as a predator alarm. He never mentioned these problems with over-aggressiveness toward chickens, so we were unprepared. Perhaps he had a large enough flock that they kept themselves busy. Anyways, thanks all for the replies.

I have 4 guineas - 2 males 2 females the males attack anything in the pen including the females. Even the young peafowl get attacked. They can handle one guinea but it's 2 attacking them. Friend of mine bred guineas and she said they will attack anything esp young chicks. No matter how many females she had the males attacked, she ended up bringing the guineas to the poultry auction and got $14 each for the guineas. The only birds the males do not bother with are the ducks. The ducks fight back and there are 4 male ducks so the guineas attack the other birds not them.

Wow, I have the exact same problem as the OP. Two guineas, not quite a year old yet (both male I believe), that have free ranged with the chickens since last summer. Suddenly they have turned on one of the roosters, and basically defend his hens from him as if taking over. I even saw one try to mate with one of the hens! So it seems apparent that they need a flock of their own. I don't want a huge flock, so bought three babies (now 5 wks old) hoping for at least one female they could focus their attention on. Right now I'm trying to determine if it's only one of the two guineas that is the problem - once the chase is on, it's always just one guinea after the rooster. Unfortunately the guinea is faster. Either way, I plan to wait it out until the three new guineas join to see if that helps.
How has everything worked out for you? I’m having the same issue.

My guineas were attacking ‘some’ of my roosters. I actually appreciated them keeping the roosters off my girls backs! I have too many roosters and a soft spot for my beautiful boys!
In my experience the ones they are raised with are the ones they will fight with, because they don’t see the difference between themselves. They do not bother the older roosters that were here before them. I have a large group 60+ of chickens and roosters. I’m not worried about their little battles, they work things out. It’s the predators that come and kill that is my main concern and there is nothing better than guineas as guard dogs for free rangers. If anyone comes up missing, it’s a Guinea not a chicken.

I had the same issue, but this worked for me. Two night in a row, twice a night I would go out and push the guineas off there roost (Nicely). One the second day early while still roosted. I grabbed them and walked around with them under my arm for about 15min. Thats all it took. They are now friendly to all my flock and ducks.
I started this 20 years ago when young roosters would come after me. Now we are all friends and they protect my ladies. Only room for one alpha.

Only room for one alpha.
The keet that I rescued is now 8 weeks and 6 days old, and I have been working on establishing an alpha position by not letting it get away with things I disapprove of. An example is that I chase it out of my kitchen every time it follows me in. It has now started to hover at the kitchen entrance and is hesitant about entering. I really REALLY hope this method works ...especially since the future of this Guinea Fowl is uncertain and might depend on it.

Back
Top Bottom