Gurgling Chickens

21henmom

Songster
5 Years
Dec 31, 2018
It has been a long while since I've posted anything. I'm now 7.5 years raising chickens with just normal chicken issues. I have an emergency now and I don't know what to do.
This morning I noticed one of my 7.5 y/o RHR hens gurgling &one of my roosters (4 y/o). Tonight another hen (6.5 y/o) is exhibiting the same symptoms. Gurgling that sounds like they have lots of mucus. Eating and drinking normally. The one this evening seems a little more lethargic than normal. It is extremely hot and dry here (Western NC), but they free range in lots of shade and they have lots of fresh water. I don't know if it's the weather or something more sinister. Started treating with Tylan and VetRx tonight. Any ideas?

It has been a long while since I've posted anything. I'm now 7.5 years raising chickens with just normal chicken issues. I have an emergency now and I don't know what to do.
This morning I noticed one of my 7.5 y/o RHR hens gurgling &one of my roosters (4 y/o). Tonight another hen (6.5 y/o) is exhibiting the same symptoms. Gurgling that sounds like they have lots of mucus. Eating and drinking normally. The one this evening seems a little more lethargic than normal. It is extremely hot and dry here (Western NC), but they free range in lots of shade and they have lots of fresh water. I don't know if it's the weather or something more sinister. Started treating with Tylan and VetRx tonight. Any ideas?
I should add this is respiratory gurgling.

Temp was 96 today. Heat index is just over 100. Tomorrow will be hotter and then it will cool down.

7.5 y/o RHR hens gurgling &one of my roosters (4 y/o). Tonight another hen (6.5 y/o) is exhibiting the same symptoms. Gurgling that sounds like they have lots of mucus. Eating and drinking normally. The one this evening seems a little more lethargic than normal.
Has this come on suddenly?

Have you added any new birds recently?

What are their crops like?

Anything changed or new - new bag of feed, a different treat, new bedding, etc.?

Gurgling could be from drinking a lot of water if it's really hot.

Do you have a video of them so we can hear them? Upload video to YouTube and provide a link.

I will try to get a video on here.
It was sudden onset. I just checked one of them and her crop is empty as it should be this time of morning. No new bedding and we have been using the same bag of feed for about a week and their treats are the same. They are drinking tons of water due to the heat.
My son found a "rescue" chicken where he works. We kept her in quarantine for 4 days, but I got so hot that I let her out early. She seems fine, but I know that isn't always the case
This morning the 7 y/o has some purple on the tips of her comb. That improved once she got up and started walking around, but no improvements since yesterday. If I had a vet that could see chickens nearby I would take one of them.

Open the mouth of each bird and closely inspect the inside of their mouth, including the entrance to the esophagus and trachea at the back of the mouth. Closely inspect for small white splotches anywhere inside the mouth. Also mucus inside the mouth.
Also look for any yellow or necrotic lesions inside their mouth. The latter indicating possible canker or wet pox.

I also wanted to add the reason heat stress can cause gurgling. Heat stress (especially if humidity is involved) actually causes the heat and moisture in the air to be unable to escape their lungs. It very well may not be heat stress causing the gurgling with your chickens, but it definitely can be a cause.

Open the mouth of each bird and closely inspect the inside of their mouth, including the entrance to the esophagus and trachea at the back of the mouth. Closely inspect for small white splotches anywhere inside the mouth. Also mucus inside the mouth.
Also look for any yellow or necrotic lesions inside their mouth. The latter indicating possible canker or wet pox.
I will check when I get home. I haven't dealt with canker before or wet pox that I know. We currently have two of the 3 isolated in a crate in the house with a humidifier running. One seems to
I also wanted to add the reason heat stress can cause gurgling. Heat stress (especially if humidity is involved) actually causes the heat and moisture in the air to be unable to escape their lungs. It very well may not be heat stress causing the gurgling with your chickens, but it definitely can be a cause.
We brought two of the three indoors in dog crate and I'm running a humidifier. So far no change. I've never been through anything like this before.

Back
Top Bottom