Had to take ducklings away from their mum and feeling SO bad! 😭

Jen1979

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2013
Perth Hills, Western Australia
Our 3 ducks hatched 5 ducklings 3 days ago (bit of a surprise, we saw them sitting on nests but had thought a rescue duck we took in was female and we had all hens - turned out it was a drake and the eggs were fertilized). This morning I discovered one of the ducklings was missing. We have rats and crows about so I assume it got taken. I was devastated and we had no quick fix way to protect the ducklings together with the 3 mum ducks. We went to check on them after dark and saw a couple of rats stalking them (the hens were completely oblivious and so was the drake). So we took the babies and brought them inside to raise for their safety.

I feel like it was the only sure way to keep them safe but I am beating myself up so badly over doing this to the mother ducks. 😭 They’re still wandering the pen looking for them, not quacking but they must be so bewildered. Have I done the wrong thing? I loved seeing them with the mums and snuggling in their wings but I just couldn’t think of an easy way to keep them safe together and I couldn’t stand it if we lost them all 😭 Will the mothers get over it eventually?

Thanks guys, that does make me feel better. ❤️ I was thinking that once they’re old enough (9-10 weeks?) we could have a pen set up inside the yard, covered with mesh so they could be ‘with’ the flock, without the flock being able to get to them, until they are completely used to each other and big enough to hold their own. Would that be a safe plan?

Thanks guys, that does make me feel better. ❤️ I was thinking that once they’re old enough (9-10 weeks?) we could have a pen set up inside the yard, covered with mesh so they could be ‘with’ the flock, without the flock being able to get to them, until they are completely used to each other and big enough to hold their own. Would that be a safe plan?
Perfect~! Enjoy those little ones ❤️

Our 3 ducks hatched 5 ducklings 3 days ago (bit of a surprise, we saw them sitting on nests but had thought a rescue duck we took in was female and we had all hens - turned out it was a drake and the eggs were fertilized). This morning I discovered one of the ducklings was missing. We have rats and crows about so I assume it got taken. I was devastated and we had no quick fix way to protect the ducklings together with the 3 mum ducks. We went to check on them after dark and saw a couple of rats stalking them (the hens were completely oblivious and so was the drake). So we took the babies and brought them inside to raise for their safety.

I feel like it was the only sure way to keep them safe but I am beating myself up so badly over doing this to the mother ducks. 😭 They’re still wandering the pen looking for them, not quacking but they must be so bewildered. Have I done the wrong thing? I loved seeing them with the mums and snuggling in their wings but I just couldn’t think of an easy way to keep them safe together and I couldn’t stand it if we lost them all 😭 Will the mothers get over it eventually?
yes. I had 2 chickens that I had to take a chick from (first time and co- broodies, so they only had one), and I put the chick with some incubator hatched chicks. the hens forgot about the chick after a few days, and when I sold my extra roosters, he is the one I kept, mostly because he flew away and hid in the woods for two hours. he's a smart one.

See and be seen is the way. I do all my integrations that way, have for years. Always successfully.

And I start the see and be seen process just as soon as the birds can be out on their own. I have a grow out pen, essentially a dedicated hoop coupe, in the middle of the pasture. My birds are usually in it by three weeks at the outside, and generally released between 8:00 and 12 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom