Heat wave tips?

donteatbees

Chirping
May 20, 2024
Hey everyone! I've got a heat wave just starting in BC, Canada (getting close to 40°C) and was wondering if anyone has any tips?
My chickens have two things of water (I've got 2 more that I'm about to fill up for the yard), lots of trees and bushes in the pen, a raised coop they can hide under and access to my yard full of very tall grass, shady trees and a kiddy pool I filled a bit for my dogs.
I haven't had any issues yet, they're all cool and happy, but it will get hotter and I work nearly every day and won't be home with them. I've got family at home, thankfully, so they will have some supervision. But the chickens are mainly my thing.
I've heard frozen fruits and watermelon are good, but fruit (and groceries in general) are expensive, so I'll get some if it goes on sale.
My chickens ages are: five that are ~1.5 months old, two (ones a baby roo) that are 10 weeks tomorrow (only ones who's exact age I know, theyre the only ones I've hatches), two that are about 3-4 months and my six hens that are a year and a few months. Not sure if age affects anything to do with heat, but thought I'd say just to be safe!

What comb type are they?

You say they have shade and water. I rely on that, but mine also acclimate earlier in the season.

Hi! We are having a heat wave as well! I offer ice water of course, shallow rubber bowels so they can step in them and if I see one really panting I will grab it and set it in the water. After the other chickens saw me doing this they followed suit on their own:D

I freeze big blocks of ice in food storage containers with bits of cucumber or berries in it. I put that in shallow take-out containers so that they can get some cold treats as it melts, or drink some cold water. It usually takes a few hours to melt completely, at ~32° in the shade. They seem to appreciate it.

What comb type are they?

You say they have shade and water. I rely on that, but mine also acclimate earlier in the season.
I'm newer to having chickens, I wasn't aware they had different types of combs, that's cool! Only my 6 adult hens have fully grown combs. I'll attach photos of my chickens so you can see.
They adults are white leghorns and plymouth rocks (3 of each)
The chicks I hatched are a mix of each (I had a plymouth rooster but a bear ate him)
The other 7 are mixed of a few breeds, the ones I can remember are Easter Eggers and Rhode Island reds. I'm not sure about the white chick with black speckles. But I noticed with the other teens from the man who I bought them from they were bigger and had developed combs faster then the other teens.
The leghorn with the floppy comb had that happened after she escaped and our livestock guardian dog gently grabbed her and carried her around, which was a year ago now and she's totally fine now.
If you have any other questions or want better pictures let me know!
I'll have to read up on the comb types too!

Attachments

• 20240707_164850.jpg
    20240707_164850.jpg
    862.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240707_164825.jpg
    20240707_164825.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240707_164644.jpg
    20240707_164644.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240707_164632.jpg
    20240707_164632.jpg
    959.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240618_181420.jpg
    20240618_181420.jpg
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240618_175715.jpg
    20240618_175715.jpg
    715.2 KB · Views: 4
Hi! We are having a heat wave as well! I offer ice water of course, shallow rubber bowels so they can step in them and if I see one really panting I will grab it and set it in the water. After the other chickens saw me doing this they followed suit on their own:D
Good to know! I'll have to try the ice water. I filled the kiddy pool shallow enough for them to be able to cool off, but maybe I'll add something else in the pen too. Thank you for the tips!

I freeze big blocks of ice in food storage containers with bits of cucumber or berries in it. I put that in shallow take-out containers so that they can get some cold treats as it melts, or drink some cold water. It usually takes a few hours to melt completely, at ~32° in the shade. They seem to appreciate it.
I think I'll try that one, I could see them enjoying that! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom