Help ASAP! What should I do about my baby ducks?

Beauty the pretty chicken

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2022
I have a broody Pekín/rouen duck who currently has a clutch and is laying in its eggs. I have some questions and it’s somewhat urgent because they should be born very soon. First of all, I have about 4 drakes and 4 female ducks. I don’t know if the drakes will attack the ducks, since they’re all in the same flock. We’ve candled the eggs and they’re defiantly viable, but how likely is it that they’re gonna hatch? Also I’ve noticed my mama duck has been away from her eggs plenty although she does visit them it seems. It seems to have changed with the heat. During the day here it’s anywhere from 75-95 and even 100 sometimes, and the nest is in a metal coop. Should I be worried about any of that? There is also another thing we have a big pond. And I don’t know if I should be worried about the ducklings falling in and not being able to get out and drowning while we’re not watching. I also am not sure if we need to move the female ducks to. we have three other ones. This is our first broody duck in our first ducks in general. Also, the ducks will not be all one type of duck. we have two ducks that are the same color but they’re both females. Will the ducks come out looking weird and not having great genetics or are they gonna be fine? Also if anyone has any advice on how to raise ducklings that already have a mom that would be great.

thank you so much!

I have a broody Pekín/rouen duck who currently has a clutch and is laying in its eggs. I have some questions and it’s somewhat urgent because they should be born very soon. First of all, I have about 4 drakes and 4 female ducks. I don’t know if the drakes will attack the ducks, since they’re all in the same flock. We’ve candled the eggs and they’re defiantly viable, but how likely is it that they’re gonna hatch? Also I’ve noticed my mama duck has been away from her eggs plenty although she does visit them it seems. It seems to have changed with the heat. During the day here it’s anywhere from 75-95 and even 100 sometimes, and the nest is in a metal coop. Should I be worried about any of that? There is also another thing we have a big pond. And I don’t know if I should be worried about the ducklings falling in and not being able to get out and drowning while we’re not watching. I also am not sure if we need to move the female ducks to. we have three other ones. This is our first broody duck in our first ducks in general. Also, the ducks will not be all one type of duck. we have two ducks that are the same color but they’re both females. Will the ducks come out looking weird and not having great genetics or are they gonna be fine? Also if anyone has any advice on how to raise ducklings that already have a mom that would be great.

thank you so much!
I own 2 pairs of Ruen ducks. First of all the temperature in your coop it’s fine. It’s likely the reason she’s confident she doesn’t need to sit on them to keep them warm. No one should pick on them because momma ducks are pretty protective of their babies! How old were your ducks when you got them? I’m hosting you kept them away from water or you’d know ducks can swim pretty much straight out of the egg. Sounds like you’re going to be a wonderful good mother. Your ducklings will be fine.

thank you so much!
@Beauty the pretty chicken can you up date please?

Back
Top Bottom