HELP bad bumblefoot

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
I have been trying to treat my hens bumblefoot issue for a very long time, like a year or something like that.

I am somewhat squeemish so i have trouble ripping apart her foot, especially since it seems like there isn’t a kernel inside and the “pus” is more like skin. It’s hard to grab and not stringy or anything like that but since shes had it for a while maybe its solidified.

I know it seems cruel to keep her going like this and it is, i always thought maybe one day it would go down but recently it has started to manifest, the scab being bigger and she even got one (on the foot with the worse scab and more puffy) on the tip of her toe.

I think i have quite literally tried about everything, drawing salve, caluenda oil, terramycin, soaking, soaking with epsom salt, some $100 fish infection thing that people said would work, but it’s getting expensive and i’m feeling horrible for her, not only this, but ANOTHER chicken has it who is much more skittish, so will be harder to treat.

Here is what i’m doing and HAVE been doing, (i have not begun treatment on the other chicken) Soak or wash, lots of hydrogen peroxide (maybe this is where i’m at fault? I know it kills good stuff too but i thought it would be good to kill the infection) but i open it up to add the hydrogen and cut the top scab off, then pack with antibiotic no pain killers and wrap.

Please help, what am i doing wrong? Vet isn’t really a option right now and i really can’t imagine putting either of them down. I love them lots and want to do whats best for them. The reason i also haven’t tried cutting it super deep for a kernel is sometimes the wrapping gets pulled or loosened down when they dust bathe and im worried it would get even more infected.

they do NOT sleep on a rod, they sleep on a plank and like it a lot. Splinters shouldn’t be a issue be a issue since i put a paper bag on it and some hemp bedding.

Thanks, I appreciate any advice or tips, i don’t want this to get any worse then it is and pictures are coming soon. Her feet (the chicken that has worse bumblefoot) is wrapped right now so i can’t take pictures at this moment but i will apply it soon, it has not manifested to the top of her foot or her leg, just on the pad and a small one on her toe. Every now and then it causes significant discomfort but lately is very obvious it makes her tired and not want to do as much.

If anyone has any tips on how to keep her from pulling off the bandages that is also appreciated.

TL;DR need advice for how to fix chicken bumblefoot, have been trying for about a year with no luck, vet and culling not a option i would like to pursue, can’t find the kernel, i would prefer a method that doesn’t involve digging through her skin and more so stuff to put on.

I have been trying to treat my hens bumblefoot issue for a very long time, like a year or something like that.

I am somewhat squeemish so i have trouble ripping apart her foot, especially since it seems like there isn’t a kernel inside and the “pus” is more like skin. It’s hard to grab and not stringy or anything like that but since shes had it for a while maybe its solidified.

I know it seems cruel to keep her going like this and it is, i always thought maybe one day it would go down but recently it has started to manifest, the scab being bigger and she even got one (on the foot with the worse scab and more puffy) on the tip of her toe.

I think i have quite literally tried about everything, drawing salve, caluenda oil, terramycin, soaking, soaking with epsom salt, some $100 fish infection thing that people said would work, but it’s getting expensive and i’m feeling horrible for her, not only this, but ANOTHER chicken has it who is much more skittish, so will be harder to treat.

Here is what i’m doing and HAVE been doing, (i have not begun treatment on the other chicken) Soak or wash, lots of hydrogen peroxide (maybe this is where i’m at fault? I know it kills good stuff too but i thought it would be good to kill the infection) but i open it up to add the hydrogen and cut the top scab off, then pack with antibiotic no pain killers and wrap.

Please help, what am i doing wrong? Vet isn’t really a option right now and i really can’t imagine putting either of them down. I love them lots and want to do whats best for them. The reason i also haven’t tried cutting it super deep for a kernel is sometimes the wrapping gets pulled or loosened down when they dust bathe and im worried it would get even more infected.

they do NOT sleep on a rod, they sleep on a plank and like it a lot. Splinters shouldn’t be a issue be a issue since i put a paper bag on it and some hemp bedding.

Thanks, I appreciate any advice or tips, i don’t want this to get any worse then it is and pictures are coming soon. Her feet (the chicken that has worse bumblefoot) is wrapped right now so i can’t take pictures at this moment but i will apply it soon, it has not manifested to the top of her foot or her leg, just on the pad and a small one on her toe. Every now and then it causes significant discomfort but lately is very obvious it makes her tired and not want to do as much.

If anyone has any tips on how to keep her from pulling off the bandages that is also appreciated.

TL;DR need advice for how to fix chicken bumblefoot, have been trying for about a year with no luck, vet and culling not a option i would like to pursue, can’t find the kernel, i would prefer a method that doesn’t involve digging through her skin and more so stuff to put on.
Sounds like you're doing pretty much everything I've ever heard to try except for roosting. No jumping from higher than 18 inches especially for heavier breed chickens and/or ramps or steps to reach higher roosts. Limit or stop any jumping till they're healed. That's often where the initial injury occurs. I've also heard of people separating and restricting movement on affected chicken to keep them off of the foot more and to give it time to heal. Like in a pet carrier in a more clean environment than the coop or run that can be thoroughly disinfected regularly. I know that's not a long term option but even a few days might give you the advantage for the other treatments to have some effect. Also some chickens are just more susceptible to this and you probably shouldn't ever breed those ones.

Sounds like you're doing pretty much everything I've ever heard to try except for roosting. No jumping from higher than 18 inches especially for heavier breed chickens and/or ramps or steps to reach higher roosts. Limit or stop any jumping till they're healed. That's often where the initial injury occurs. I've also heard of people separating and restricting movement on affected chicken to keep them off of the foot more and to give it time to heal. Like in a pet carrier in a more clean environment than the coop or run that can be thoroughly disinfected regularly. I know that's not a long term option but even a few days might give you the advantage for the other treatments to have some effect. Also some chickens are just more susceptible to this and you probably shouldn't ever breed those ones.
Thank you. I put them up and take them off the roosts every morning. They go up at 7:30 and get down when i wake up at 8:30. They do no jumping to the roosts.

i will try that idea and isolate them next time i cut into the foot.

Can you post pics? That would help us see how bad it is and what options you may have. If shes not lame or like, completely limping like it’s eaten up her joint, you still have time. My Pekin has had ongoing bumblefoot for a year and a half so I definitely get the struggle. It wasn’t until a few months ago that I actually had to do my first surgery with her and it was a success! And let me tell you….for as terrible as this may sound I know it got in her ankle joint and possible ate away at it or did some kind of damage but she walks just fine! Looks kinda wonky at the ankle but hey. She’s alive and not in pain. I’m currently dealing with a middle toe joint bumblefoot and as you know, it’s a nightmare. I learned how to do proper wrapping from the vet if you need any guidance. Seriously it should only take you under 5 min even with a fussy hen.
Materials I use:
cotton makeup remover pads
*self stick vet wrap
duct tape

start at the ankle and wrap down. Since you have chickens you could do each toe but I don’t know wher the infection is so I can’t really tell you where all to wrap. But just add a glob of the neosporin or poultice to the cotton round, slap on the spot, then wrap over it. After, I rip duct tape in half lengthwise so I end up with two inch wide strips about 4in long. I use those to wrap around the vet wrap edges to make sure it stays secure and on the foot. If shes really bad about getting it dusty or dirty, wrap all the way to the tip of the toe and then pinch it just at the tip so it’s closed. Secure with duct tape. just don’t tape the skin or put skin on skin under the wrap but I feel like that goes without saying.

hope she’s doing better! Post pics!

Can you post pics? That would help us see how bad it is and what options you may have. If shes not lame or like, completely limping like it’s eaten up her joint, you still have time. My Pekin has had ongoing bumblefoot for a year and a half so I definitely get the struggle. It wasn’t until a few months ago that I actually had to do my first surgery with her and it was a success! And let me tell you….for as terrible as this may sound I know it got in her ankle joint and possible ate away at it or did some kind of damage but she walks just fine! Looks kinda wonky at the ankle but hey. She’s alive and not in pain. I’m currently dealing with a middle toe joint bumblefoot and as you know, it’s a nightmare. I learned how to do proper wrapping from the vet if you need any guidance. Seriously it should only take you under 5 min even with a fussy hen.
Materials I use:
cotton makeup remover pads
*self stick vet wrap
duct tape

start at the ankle and wrap down. Since you have chickens you could do each toe but I don’t know wher the infection is so I can’t really tell you where all to wrap. But just add a glob of the neosporin or poultice to the cotton round, slap on the spot, then wrap over it. After, I rip duct tape in half lengthwise so I end up with two inch wide strips about 4in long. I use those to wrap around the vet wrap edges to make sure it stays secure and on the foot. If shes really bad about getting it dusty or dirty, wrap all the way to the tip of the toe and then pinch it just at the tip so it’s closed. Secure with duct tape. just don’t tape the skin or put skin on skin under the wrap but I feel like that goes without saying.

hope she’s doing better! Post pics!
Thanks so much. A vet told me to leave it be if it doesn’t bother her but i feel like that isn’t a great route to go but i don’t know. If i preform another surgery i will try this method of wrapping and i’ll be sure to let you know how it goes for me if i do it.

I will try to remember to post pics.

Back
Top Bottom