HELP! Can anyone help me with sexing Rhode Island Reds at 3 weeks?

ArraAchicksMama

Chirping
Jun 8, 2024
Anyone has a link or some reads about sexing RIRs? I have 5, 3-week olds and I'm REALLY wanting to know if i got any roos Thanks! šŸ™

Last edited:
You can usually start to tell by comb development starting around 4 weeks old. Feel free to post some pictures of your birds over the next few weeks.
Yes!!! I second this! The comb and wattles are a good indicator of sex. Although it is not 100% foolproof it is still an excellent indicator that is fairly accurate. A roo will typically develop bigger and redder combs faster than hens.

I was hoping for other than the comb. I knew that about the comb. They are 3 week old now and was hoping for other signs

I was hoping for other than the comb. I knew that about the comb. They are 3 week old now and was hoping for other signs
Well there are other signs some of the easier signs to look for are roos will tend to have thicker legs and be bigger and than hens. At that age those are the easiest things to look for. Itā€™s one of those things that over time you just kida pick up through observation. When I first got chickens at age 8 I couldnā€™t tell a hen or roo but now that Iā€™m 25 I have picked up on subtle hints that are hard to explain. I donā€™t know how long you have had chickens but experience plays a lot into it.

As the above post says, thicker legs can sometimes be an indicator, but it's not as accurate as looking at the comb is. Your only other option would be getting a DNA test. Any other indicators such as behavior, male feathering, etc. won't be reliable or visible until much later.

As the above post says, thicker legs can sometimes be an indicator, but it's not as accurate as looking at the comb is. Your only other option would be getting a DNA test. Any other indicators such as behavior, male feathering, etc. won't be reliable or visible until much later.
Agreed, at that age comb and wattles are the best way to tell.

Back
Top Bottom