Help! Drool from my chickens mouth!

Henhouse123

In the Brooder
May 10, 2024
Pls help!
I recently got 6 red sex link hens (approx 18 wks old) Today my American bulldog pushed his way in the run as I tried to get in & attacked one of my hens 😭 I got her out of his mouth but she has 2 small puncture wounds and 2 larger ones with blood. I applied pressure, washed them, put corn starch and then neosporin on them. She was already showing signs of a "cold" and rasping or rattling a bit, now after the attack she has clear drool coming from her mouth. Im so scared. I gave her fresh water, food and oatmeal. She put herself in a corner for a few hours and had her head down, tail down and her eyes were closing taking shallow breaths. She finally "woke up" a bit & had some oatmeal and a cpl sips of water. She still has drool coming from her mouth & wet nostrils. Is it from the attack or the cold? What should I do!? My heart is broken!!!

Attachments

• 20240510_162851.jpg
    20240510_162851.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240510_162840.jpg
    20240510_162840.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240510_174049.jpg
    20240510_174049.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 3
The dog mustn't have punctured her lung(s) or you'd hear wheezing/labored breathing. The bite though has a lot of bacteria and will probably start infection deeper down than what the Neosporin reaches. I would bring her in. She should be kept warm in a dark place and be put on antibiotics.

Is a vet out of the question?

I'd give her electrolyte water, Gatorade, or make your own. That would help her body deal with the stress. After that, vitamin water like Poultry Cell to help her body fight infection and heal. See if she'd eat a little scrambled egg.

Homemade Electrolytes
1 liter of water
6 teaspoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of orange juice or coconut water

The dog mustn't have punctured her lung(s) or you'd hear wheezing/labored breathing. The bite though has a lot of bacteria and will probably start infection deeper down than what the Neosporin reaches. I would bring her in. She should be kept warm in a dark place and be put on antibiotics.

I'd give her electrolyte water, Gatorade, or make your own. That would help her body deal with the stress. After that, vitamin water like Poultry Cell to help her body fight infection and heal. See if she'd eat a little scrambled egg.

Homemade Electrolytes
1 liter of water
6 teaspoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Homemade Electrolytes
1 liter of water
6 teaspoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
Thank you so much for your help. I will go buy some Gatorade and also make my own electrolyte water & continue to clean her wounds. She was breathing funny last night, like small, slow breaths from her mouth. I will go check on her now. I hope she's OK 🙏

Back
Top Bottom