HELP Im being attacked by my GUINEA

Ive been thru this before with my roosters some worse and i couldnt help and they had to go but some came around after finding the under lying problem. Im trying to give him the same. He doesnt come out anymore or have contact with my hen because of his behavior but im not going to kill him without trying to find another way first. I have been rescuing and rehabilitating fighting birds my whole life way to long to just give up on one i raised because hes a different type of bird that may want or need something that im unaware of that could be causing all of this behavior. Which is what im on here to find out not for someone to tell me what i should have done along time ago because thats what they do.
Just curious, are you ready for a lawsuit? I'm surprised the UBER driver hasn't filed already.

Ive been thru this before with my roosters some worse and i couldnt help and they had to go but some came around after finding the under lying problem. Im trying to give him the same. He doesnt come out anymore or have contact with my hen because of his behavior but im not going to kill him without trying to find another way first. I have been rescuing and rehabilitating fighting birds my whole life way to long to just give up on one i raised because hes a different type of bird that may want or need something that im unaware of that could be causing all of this behavior. Which is what im on here to find out not for someone to tell me what i should have done along time ago because thats what they do.
In my opinion you are free to do as you please - i.e. enduring his attacks every time he sees you - as long as you are the only person attacked and nobody else is involved.

As soon as other people ( your child, husband, neighbours, postman etc.) are endangered by your overaggressive animal it is your responsibility to keep them from harm and take the necessary precautions.

From my own experience with guinea fowl I can say that they are very territorial and special (a little dense). They cannot fight or suppress their hormone-induced natural behavior during breeding season. They are unable to " learn" otherwise and it is unreasonable to expect or hope for it to happen.

I suggest you consider to rehome your guineas or find a tasty recipe - but do not let this go on any longer, it is a dangerous situation.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating fighting birds my whole life way to long to just give up on one i raised because hes a different type of bird that may want or need something that im unaware of that could be causing all of this behavior.

He wants you and everybody else gone! He wants you all to leave his territory.
And of course he wants to live with a flock of his own kind...

In my opinion you are free to do as you please - i.e. enduring his attacks every time he sees you - as long as you are the only person attacked and nobody else is involved.

As soon as other people ( your child, husband, neighbours, postman etc.) are endangered by your overaggressive animal it is your responsibility to keep them from harm and take the necessary precautions.

From my own experience with guinea fowl I can say that they are very territorial and special (a little dense). They cannot fight or suppress their hormone-induced natural behavior during breeding season. They are unable to " learn" otherwise and it is unreasonable to expect or hope for it to happen.

I suggest you consider to rehome your guineas or find a tasty recipe - but do not let this go on any longer, it is a dangerous situation.
I don't think this person ever came back after the original date of post. Hopefully it was just bc the answers weren't the ones wanted.

I found this thread very interesting and helpful!

This is my first time experience raising a Guinea Fowl keet and I have noticed a difference in its 'attitude' (I want to say that it is more primal perhaps?) from the other types of wild (garden) birds, that I have rescued and brought up from chicks; and it has me wondering if I need to take a different approach with this keet?

Here where I live, there are many Guinea Fowl family units that break off from the big flocks, out in the veld and farm land, and come into the residential area in the season to breed. So far I have not heard any stories of Guinea Fowls attacking humans unless the humans are actively threatening them and/or their keets. Here people walk their dogs and do activities in the public spaces (with play grounds) with the Guinea Fowl families grazing alongside with their keets. So in conclusion, I think there is a lot of merit in the experts advice given here.
I appreciate the advice, thank you.

Last edited:
I found this thread very interesting and helpful!

This is my first time experience raising a Guinea Fowl keet and I have noticed a difference in its 'attitude' (I want to say that it is more primal perhaps?) from the other types of wild (garden) birds, that I have rescued and brought up from chicks; and it has me wondering if I need to take a different approach with this keet?

Here where I live, there are many Guinea Fowl family units that break off from the big flocks, out in the veld and farm land, and come into the residential area in the season to breed. So far I have not heard any stories of Guinea Fowls attacking humans unless the humans are actively threatening them and/or their keets. Here people walk their dogs and do activities in the public spaces (with play grounds) with the Guinea Fowl families grazing alongside with their keets. So in conclusion, I think there is a lot of merit in the experts advice given here.
I appreciate the advice, thank you.
Guinea fowl that have not been imprinted by people are only likely to attack anything that they perceive to be a threat to their nest or brood. Those that have been imprinted by people are unable to understand that people are not guineas and may try to treat people the same way they would treat any other guinea.

Guinea fowl that have not been imprinted by people are only likely to attack anything that they perceive to be a threat to their nest or brood. Those that have been imprinted by people are unable to understand that people are not guineas and may try to treat people the same way they would treat any other guinea.
I never thought of it that way! It is excellent food for thought. I may have to consider finding a sanctuary (albeit as a Plan B) for this keet... to avoid any possible unpleasantness in the future with human residence in the area. This keet really has me questioning things like no other of my past rescues.
🤔

Thank you very much for responding.

Back
Top Bottom