Help new to laying chickens

Hayliem01

Chirping
Jun 2, 2024
New to chickens and not sure if it’s her being possibly egg bound. She does feel skinnier then my other hen, her vent is clear just poop on her feathers we put her in a little bit of water to try to clean it off and the bludge down near her vent is hard, but my other hens is squishy. Unsure if i try to help if so how to help. there not frequent layers they lay every other day and we only pulled one egg today. (Not sure if that helps)

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    635.1 KB · Views: 9
New to chickens and not sure if it’s her being possibly egg bound. She does feel skinnier then my other hen, her vent is clear just poop on her feathers we put her in a little bit of water to try to clean it off and the bludge down near her vent is hard, but my other hens is squishy. Unsure if i try to help if so how to help. there not frequent layers they lay every other day and we only pulled one egg today. (Not sure if that helps)
How is she acting?

How long have you had them and how old are they?

How is she acting?

How long have you had them and how old are they?
Unsure of how old i believe over a year I’ve had them for probably a month or so, i isolated her but haven’t seen her eat or drink yet she is pooping, just kinda standing with what looks like her head tucked in a little like the picture

If she's tucked in, then I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate+D3 tablet now, then once daily for a week to see if she will expel an egg. If you don't have Calcium Citrate, then give 1 TUMS until you can get the other.

No need to examine inside the vent.

Did you see any lice when you bathed her? Looks like there may be some Nits at the base of the feathers and perhaps 1 lice/louse in the photo.

Work on hydration and the offer wet mushy feed.

If she's tucked in, then I'd give her 1 Calcium Citrate+D3 tablet now, then once daily for a week to see if she will expel an egg. If you don't have Calcium Citrate, then give 1 TUMS until you can get the other.

No need to examine inside the vent.

Did you see any lice when you bathed her? Looks like there may be some Nits at the base of the feathers and perhaps 1 lice/louse in the photo.

Work on hydration and the offer wet mushy feed.
I didn’t exactly look for lice was more worried about the poop until i noticed the bulge, how can i treat the lice? I’m going to give her poultry cell mixed with water ! And add water to feed to make it mushy, if i don’t have tums or the other kind with me she will be fine until i can get tomorrow?
Do you think this is possible egg bound ? I read she can go in shock if she can’t pass? I soaked her for 15-20 mins in warm water and put lubricant on vent

If she's pooping, then she's not bound to where an egg is blocking the cloaca.

The Calcium will help with contractions and if she's having a hard time expelling an egg.

The bulge may be normal for her, it might be a fat pad or it could be a sign of EYP, Ascites or some other reproductive problem. I'd give her time to see if she will lay an egg - that's the priority.

If she's really stressed, then I would not soak her. Just see to it that she has access to food/water. If she's not getting picked on, then I'd leave her with her flock.

For lice, you can find Permethrin based poultry dust at stores like TSC. Give her and the others a good dusting every 5 days for a couple for a few weeks.

If she's pooping, then she's not bound to where an egg is blocking the cloaca.

The Calcium will help with contractions and if she's having a hard time expelling an egg.

The bulge may be normal for her, it might be a fat pad or it could be a sign of EYP, Ascites or some other reproductive problem. I'd give her time to see if she will lay an egg - that's the priority.

If she's really stressed, then I would not soak her. Just see to it that she has access to food/water. If she's not getting picked on, then I'd leave her with her flock.

For lice, you can find Permethrin based poultry dust at stores like TSC. Give her and the others a good dusting every 5 days for a couple for a few weeks.
Will definitely be grabbing some tomorrow ! And starting tomorrow! Thank you will i start seeing an increase in her behavior when she starts? Or will it take a few days ?

Back
Top Bottom