Help with Safeguard goat dewormer

DevGoddess

In the Brooder
Mar 26, 2024
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Hey y'all! I had to go to TSC the other day to grab a bottle of Safeguard 10% Goat Dewormer because 1 of 4 of my hens has watery poop and visible worms (pretty sure roundworms?). I haven't noticed any issues with my other hens, although one is broody at the moment so I do need to break that.

I'm finding confusing and conflicting information everywhere and thought I should just make a post for my situation.

They're all Isa Browns, two are about a year old and two are older (age unknown, one still laying). They're all roughly the same weight but I haven't gotten an exact weight on them. My question is, do I calculate and put the correct amount of dewormer into a gallon of water as their sole source for some time? Or do I get a syringe and administer to the one hen for a few days?

Obviously I won't be using/eating the eggs for 14 days after beginning treatment.

The worm-y hen will definitely let me administer orally, thankfully, but I just don't know how to go about it. I have seen that it's 0.23ml/lb, though.

My question is, do I calculate and put the correct amount of dewormer into a gallon of water as their sole source for some time? Or do I get a syringe and administer to the one hen for a few days?
Safeguard Liquid Goat Dewormer (10%) dose is 0.23mlg per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

It does not mix well with water.

Since you only have 4 hens, you can weigh each one or just a couple of them to get an average on weight.
Go out early grab a hen off the roost, dose her, sit her on the floor, move to the next.

Here's how to give oral medication https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Back
Top Bottom