Help

peafowl_Lover

Songster
Aug 22, 2023
Ireland
Hi, my hybrid hen Goldie is 4 years old. She's usually very active and chatty. Today she has just sat on her roost with her tail down. I noticed her this evening when I was shutting them in. Her comb was kind of discoloured and her crop was empty. She was a small bit chatty but very croaky. She ate 3 hand fuls of tinned sweet corn (her favourite) is she nearing the end of her life seen as she's a hybrid? I've lost one of my 4 year old hybrids a few months ago just found dead in the coop. I've promised myself to just stick to heritage breeds even though I love my hybrids it's too hard seeings them go. :(

When was the last time she laid an egg? Does her abdomen feel swollen? What's her diet like? And how's the weather? Is she's struggling to breath at all? 4 is certainly getting up there in age so it could just be her time, but we'll cover all the bases to make sure it's isn't anything treatable first

She's in bed now as it's currently 10:15 pm. She usually lays weak shelled eggs not soft bit kind of thin. She hasn't laid 1 for the past few days but I don't think she's egg bound cause her wings aren't droopy and she's not fluffed up. It's around 13ºc here but dry.

Hmm, the softshelled eggs are a bit concerning. In the morning I'd give her some calcium citrate + D3 (the one for humans) just in case it's related to that

She is probably a little calcium difficent, so pop 1/3 of a calcium citrate+ D3. Has she been acting really tired? Maybe she emptyed her crop earlier, if you can go out and check on her or if you have a monitor in there coop. She may just be tired.

Back
Top Bottom